• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rem 700 300 RUM Bottom Metal options?

huckjare

Minuteman
Mar 12, 2009
Idaho
I just got a 300 Ultra and the load the guy used before me is to long to fit down in the mag. It is a BDL style. I just thought I would see what my options were as far as bottom metal that allows me a longer OAL so I can still seat the bullets way out. I am looking to upgrade in stocks here shortly also because it is sitting in the factory plastic at the moment. Let me know what my best bet will be. Thanks.

Re: Rem 700 300 RUM Bottom Metal options?

How much more room do you nee? A Wyatt's extended box will help, I've put them on quite a few on my ultra mags. Single feeding isn't fun, you can always swap and run an AICS mag for 5 rounds in the 338 lapua mag. Will just need to remove the ribs on the side of the mag.

Just some options,
Kc

AICS 338 CIP has an internal length of 3.770. If you shoot 220 SMK you can load to 3.750 COAL and the NSJ is almost perfict. 208 Amax and 210 SMK the NSJ is not as good. The Wyatt's BDM is a little longer but it wont really help any running the 208-210 pills. But the AICS mags will need to be modified to be able to run the RUM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ugsly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much more room do you nee? A Wyatt's extended box will help, I've put them on quite a few on my ultra mags. Single feeding isn't fun, you can always swap and run an AICS mag for 5 rounds in the 338 lapua mag. Will just need to remove the ribs on the side of the mag.

Just some options,
Kc </div></div>

What do you mean remove the ribs? Do I have to do some inletting for the Wyatts or how do I instal it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sonic Crack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AICS 338 CIP has an internal length of 3.770. If you shoot 220 SMK you can load to 3.750 COAL and the NSJ is almost perfict. 208 Amax and 210 SMK the NSJ is not as good. The Wyatt's BDM is a little longer but it wont really help any running the 208-210 pills. But the AICS mags will need to be modified to be able to run the RUM </div></div>

3.770 should work for what I am after, how do I modify the AICS mag? I am assuming that it need to come in a bit to accomodate the smaller diameter of the RUM compared to the Lapua.

You might want to give Glen at Seekins Precision a call. His shop is in Lewiston 208-743-3400. His LA mags for the 338 Lapua are 3.9 inside length. The only modification needed to run the RUM cartriges are opening the feed lips slightly. They come in 3 and 5 round mags. If you order from him, he will do the modification for no charge. The bottom of your receiver will have to be notched out (assuming a M700 action) to run the long mags. His products are very nice.
Hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might want to give Glen at Seekins Precision a call. His shop is in Lewiston 208-743-3400. His LA mags for the 338 Lapua are 3.9 inside length. The only modification needed to run the RUM cartriges are opening the feed lips slightly. They come in 3 and 5 round mags. If you order from him, he will do the modification for no charge. The bottom of your receiver will have to be notched out (assuming a M700 action) to run the long mags. His products are very nice.
Hope this helps. </div></div>

That is good to know. I live in Idaho too so he's really not that far away from me.

I use a bunch of the Seekins DBM's on the RUM's and Edge builds. The mag feed lips will need CLOSED a little to make them feed right, not opened. The action will also need to be cut back similar to a Wyatt's box mag.

Get a McRees stock in the extra long CIP style and use a 300WM extra long CIP Mag. You don't need the 338LM Mag, it's to wide in the back. The 300WM has the same belt dia. as the RUM case. Call Scott at McRees and he will set you up. Very happy with mine and my SA gets here Thursday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huckjare</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sonic Crack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AICS 338 CIP has an internal length of 3.770. If you shoot 220 SMK you can load to 3.750 COAL and the NSJ is almost perfict. 208 Amax and 210 SMK the NSJ is not as good. The Wyatt's BDM is a little longer but it wont really help any running the 208-210 pills. But the AICS mags will need to be modified to be able to run the RUM </div></div>

3.770 should work for what I am after, how do I modify the AICS mag? I am assuming that it need to come in a bit to accomodate the smaller diameter of the RUM compared to the Lapua. </div></div>

3.770 but your not going to want to run your COAL there because you will have problems. Your going to want to run 3.750-3.760 max to have enough clearance for your rounds to feed and allow some room for the overall length difference in the bullets themselves.

You can mill out the rib or set it up in a press and use some steel blocks and smash them down enough to work.
I think there are a few fellow hide members that can do these for you if you cannot DIY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RBros</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a bunch of the Seekins DBM's on the RUM's and Edge builds. The mag feed lips will need CLOSED a little to make them feed right, not opened. The action will also need to be cut back similar to a Wyatt's box mag. </div></div>

I get everything but the part about the actin needing cute back. What do you mean exactly?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xp100man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a McRees stock in the extra long CIP style and use a 300WM extra long CIP Mag. Thats what i did for my .338 RUM and it feeds great. You don't need the 338LM Mag, it's to wide in the back. The 300WM has the same belt dia. as the RUM case. Call Scott at McRees and he will set you up. Very happy with mine and my SA gets here Thursday. </div></div>

Those stocks look pretty sweet but for my application they wouldn't really work. I like to throw my rifle in my pack and get to the top of the mountain, with the pistol grips and everything it probably wouldn't fit in my Eberlestock. For my next build it might though. They are actually resonably price for what they are. I have never really looked at them before.

3.770 but your not going to want to run your COAL there because you will have problems. Your going to want to run 3.750-3.760 max to have enough clearance for your rounds to feed and allow some room for the overall length difference in the bullets themselves.

You can mill out the rib or set it up in a press and use some steel blocks and smash them down enough to work.
I think there are a few fellow hide members that can do these for you if you cannot DIY [/quote]

Ya, I run AICS mags on my .308. Gives me a better OAL than the standard Tikka bottom metal, and it is basically the same setup. I just load them about as long as I can so they will feed out of the mag without issue.

The magwell area on the underside of the action needs to be cut back approx .120" towards the tang. Wyatt's outdoors has some good pics to give you an idea. I don't ahve any handy or I would post them up. This is to allow for the longer length of the mag.

I know this thread is old but I thought I would ask for some help. I have a 300RUM built of a 700 action and have found a perfect load at 3.899 coal. It is my only rifle so i use it for hunting and targets so I would like to have it as a repeater. What would be the best way to do this? If I understand correctly the wyatts extended mag only goes to 3.770ish.... Would adding different bottom metal/magazine affect accuracy at all?

Thanks for any help!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX4ko8ikTPw&list=UUjoUjMNnJ0F7D_rYpSre4bg

Last edited: