• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 300WM.... police or build???

Archangel01

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2010
Arizona
Hello all
I'm debating as to what i would/should do here. Originally my plan was to purchase a Sako TRG 42 after getting behind one, loved the gun, but with switching jobs and getting away form the drilling industry income isn't what it used to be. So financially its just not feasible. So on to new more budget-ish friendly ideas i'm really looking for and all around rifle for hunting (mostly elk & bear), shooting steel and punching paper. I'm set on the 300wm caliber My plans were to build:

Rem 700 action, have it blueprinted
Bartlein or Krieger barrel, 24" M24 ish contour
undecided on trigger
Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist Style 5 (fully adjustable and i find it to be quite comfortable= Budget)
Wyatt Bottom metal (No inletting on B&C stock= Budget)
SS 5-20X scope
undecided on rings and base, but wont cheap on them

Now at a local gun store they have a Rem 700 Police in 300wm, brand new just sitting there...on the shelf...just tempting me to buy it, toss it in the B&C add the wyatts and SS and go out and shoot. Slightly conflicted on what i should do here. if you guys were in my shoes what road would you take??? All advise is appreciated

Go with the POLICE! I had one and I absolutely loved it. At 1,000 + it was great. After I shot the barrel out I built onto it. It's a hell of a rig and will take a beating. Here's a pic of some 208 amaxs I shot at a little over 1200 yards. That day I put tighter groups past 1,000 next to 3 GAPs. I also own a 5r but I liked the P better because the palm swell is a little bigger on the 5r although it shoots lights out too.
Here's 208's at over 1200 yards
null_zpsa6819bae.jpg

Trg42 would be the most cost effective and accurate way to go but since its not possible get the rem police and shoot the hell out of it. Then rebarrel and blueprint.good luck.

+1 for the 5r. Nothing against the Police, but I like the comb height on the B&C stock on the 5r better than the H&S precision stock. Probably going to have a large objective on whatever scope you end up running and I've found the added comb height on the M40 style BCS1000/1 helps. If you're going to put it in a new stock first thing, this is a mute point. The barrel length (24 vs 26) and fluting on the 5r will save a bit of weight when hunting as well, but that may not be a very big deal for you. Also, I think some of the 5rs are also coming with threaded barrels so if you wanted to put on a muzzle brake it wouldn't be too tough. IMHO, not a bad idea for a 300WM.

Still, you can't go wrong with the 700P. I'm not saying I don't like the 700P, I'm just saying you may get a little more bang for your buck out of the 5r.

Good luck with the purchase and enjoy!