• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 , 5R, 300 win mag stock

rmiked

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2023
I have this REM 700 and it has an HS Precision stock. The stock has an aluminum channel embedded in it from the forearm back to the action screws that go thru the bedding block. The rifle stock is about 5 degrees rotated counterclockwise when my scope bubble is plumb when viewing the butt pad. I used a Wheeler action level to determine when the rifle (action-barrel) is plumb when mounting the scope.

I’m sure the stock was manufactured with this cant angle. I called HS Precision and they said I can send it back for warranty evaluation. They also said if the action was bedded it may void the warranty. I bedded my.
action (recoil lug plus 1” in front of lug). The bedding doesn’t alter the location of the action screw holes. Would any of you send it back or live with a 5 degree cant every time you shoot it?

Last edited:
You gotta break this wall of text into paragraphs, man. Nobody’s going to read it otherwise.

• Haha
Reactions: FuhQ
IMG_2899.jpeg

Do you have pictures?

It's like 10 sentences. You guys can't be that special, can you?

No pics . I sold the rifle today. The issue would be revealed if you had your rifle on a rest (front rest with rear bag) with the bubble level plumb. Then looking from the rear, the butt plate is canted 5 degrees counterclockwise. You have to cant the rifle 5 degrees clockwise to get the bubble centered, every shot.

No pics . I sold the rifle today. The issue would be revealed if you had your rifle on a rest (front rest with rear bag) with the bubble level plumb. Then looking from the rear, the butt plate is canted 5 degrees counterclockwise. You have to cant the rifle 5 degrees clockwise to get the bubble centered, every shot.
My first suspicion would be that you messed up the bedding or that your bubble level is off. I am.not sure why people think think a 3 dollar bubble level is quality tool.

So you made a post about a rifle because you think it's defective. Then you sold a rifle you think is defective.

Reactions: spife7980
I was thinking of selling it since I’ve gone to a smaller, lower recoiling caliber (6.5 CM). I calibrate my rifle bubble level to a Johnson Tools level that I have verified accurate against a known standard. I also used a plumb bob (against the reticle) made with a 30 foot rope hanging with a weight from a tree. The canting built in to the stock was easily visible, if you just looked at it from the rear. I never had before this week. I measured the cant by placing a Johnson Tools rafter pitch device down the centerline of the butt pad. The instrument reads to a resolution of 1 degree. 5 degrees is a lot.

The holes in the bedding block are drilled by the stock manufacturer. When I bedded it the screws were installed. The rear tang was perfectly centered in the stock. There was no edge issues (higher on one side than the other) between the action and stock in between the front and rear action screw. The bedding block doesn’t go into the rear stock from the pistol grip back to the butt pad. I believe the mold was just out of square from the rear action screw to the butt pad. Since I used a bubble level, it never caused shooting errors. But when I naturally shouldered that rifle , the bubble level was always off. Never happened with my other rifles. My other rifles butt pads are plumb when the scope bubble levels are plumb.

So, you're posting a question about the stock being 5 degrees off on a rifle you no longer own? Sorry, I forgot to mention that you bedded the stock but you claim it was manufactured this way? What exactly is the reason for your post?

I posted to see if others had seen twisted (torqued) stocks.

I was thinking of selling it since I’ve gone to a smaller, lower recoiling caliber (6.5 CM). I calibrate my rifle bubble level to a Johnson Tools level that I have verified accurate against a known standard. I also used a plumb bob (against the reticle) made with a 30 foot rope hanging with a weight from a tree. The canting built in to the stock was easily visible, if you just looked at it from the rear. I never had before this week. I measured the cant by placing a Johnson Tools rafter pitch device down the centerline of the butt pad. The instrument reads to a resolution of 1 degree. 5 degrees is a lot.

The holes in the bedding block are drilled by the stock manufacturer. When I bedded it the screws were installed. The rear tang was perfectly centered in the stock. There was no edge issues (higher on one side than the other) between the action and stock in between the front and rear action screw. The bedding block doesn’t go into the rear stock from the pistol grip back to the butt pad. I believe the mold was just out of square from the rear action screw to the butt pad. Since I used a bubble level, it never caused shooting errors. But when I naturally shouldered that rifle , the bubble level was always off. Never happened with my other rifles. My other rifles butt pads are plumb when the scope bubble levels are plumb.
I don't see how when you decided to sell it is relevant if you sold after you decided it was defective.

Maybe bring your buyer to this thread to help support your assertions. I have no reason to think their mold was out of square vs you fucked up the bedding. I am really left with very little reason to believe any of your story. If you come to slang shit you better have your ducks in row.

I am just going by what you said. You want to start a bashing thread with no proof of the problem. You claim you sold a defective rifle that you modified, voided the warrenty, and even contacted the manufacture for warranty work and you were informed you voided the warrenty. And you sold that shit show to someone else.

I sold it to the gun shop I bought it from. They inspected the rifle and were glad to get it. I have bought many firearms from them and they said it was better cared for than most they take in. In order to see the manufactured defect, you would have to put the rifle in a vise with an action level inserted into the open bolt. Then look at it from the butt plate. I don’t know about you but I can see 1 degree out of plumb IF I look at it from that perspective. The butt plate is split between 4 and 5 degrees, call it 4.5. IMO opinion, the manufacturer is hiding behind a meaningless criteria. They know many people will get their actions fully bedded, even though I only bedded the recoil lug. But in order to know that you have to be able to think critically. One reason I can see 1 degree out of plumb is because I am a registered professional Engineer with construction and surveying experience. I have measured many things. I killed many deer with the rifle and it is in excellent shape. But the stock is twisted about 4.5 degrees counterclockwise (looking from the rear) relative to the installed plumb action.

I sold it to the gun shop I bought it from. They inspected the rifle and were glad to get it. I have bought many firearms from them and they said it was better cared for than most they take in. In order to see the manufactured defect, you would have to put the rifle in a vise with an action level inserted into the open bolt. Then look at it from the butt plate. I don’t know about you but I can see 1 degree out of plumb IF I look at it from that perspective. The butt plate is split between 4 and 5 degrees, call it 4.5. IMO opinion, the manufacturer is hiding behind a meaningless criteria. They know many people will get their actions fully bedded, even though I only bedded the recoil lug. But in order to know that you have to be able to think critically. One reason I can see 1 degree out of plumb is because I am a registered professional Engineer with construction and surveying experience. I have measured many things. I killed many deer with the rifle and it is in excellent shape. But the stock is twisted about 4.5 degrees counterclockwise (looking from the rear) relative to the installed plumb action.
🤣😂🤣 I work with PE's every single day, and have for years...That doesn't mean much. Most don't know their ass from a hole in the ground, because they sit in an office and armchair design off of Google Maps, instead of actually putting eyes on site, and taking fresh shots prior to construction starting. They go off some 30+ year old numbers they found in the archive registry (that NEVER match), instead of sending out the crew beforehand to get accurate elevation data. Then when you run into a huge problem like none of the elevations matching the blueprints, it's "Well, what do we do now? That's gonna blow the budget by $100K..." 🙄 Not my problem... Maybe you should have ate the cost instead of lining your pockets with that "under budget bonus" money, and sent out the survey crew for fresh shots beforehand...

Should be no problem to run down and get some pictures then. Or get them into this thread to post pictures. What's the shops name again?

A registered professional engineer. From a regestered profesional engneers perspective how do you feel about that 10 dollar wheeler action level? 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: FuhQ