• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 5R accurizing

wadebrown

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 18, 2008
    Minnesota
    A friend of mine is looking at getting into longer range shooting a step or two at a time. I recommended a Rem 700 5r in .308 to him as a good starting point.

I remember running across a gunsmith that had an accurizing package that they would do on a stock 700 5R at a reasonable cost. The operations if I remember right were:
    - set shoulder back to get a chamber throated for LR bullets
    - recrowned
    - maybe bedded

I think you could send in your 5R or they would sell you one as a part of the package. Either way the price seemed to be good and it seemed a good place to be between a full custom and a factory stick.

Does this ring any bells for you guys, if you know who does this can you let me know.

Thanks

wade

Re: Rem 700 5R accurizing

LOL they are pretty damn good to go as is, If your gonna take one this far might as well have a new tube installed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL they are pretty damn good to go as is, If your gonna take one this far might as well have a new tube installed. </div></div>agreed!the chamber is already for 175's and up,aluminium frame makes bedding really not needed,and the factory crown is 11 degree target already.i have one and the only thing i did to mine was set the trigger to brake at a clean 2 pounds and was shooting .75 moa and less.later had it rechamber to a palma chamber to shoot the new sierra 155's and now it will shoot under .5 moa.get the trigger set at a good 2lbs.,load up some 175 or bigger pills,and enjoy,these rifles will shoot right out of the box.

If your buddy's stick shoots, why bother.

I will get back to the original question, does any one know of the gunsmith I am referring to?

At risk of starting a firestorm I was asking about the gunsmith.

If we want to debate the merits I can start a topic called Should a Rem 700 5R be accurized?

I shoot custom guns as these deliver what I need in competitions.

Thanks
    wade

Any gunsmith will be happy to take your friends money.Send it to Mark Gordan at Short Action Customs in Ohio.Look up ushandgunner on this site.

I would shoot the hell out of it, and have the action trued and blueprinted when you put a new barrel on it. Skim bed and trigger job is about you could really do without wasting money. Setting the barrel back and all that jazz, waste of money that could be spent on bullets, brass, and powder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wwbrown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will get back to the original question, does any one know of the gunsmith I am referring to?

At risk of starting a firestorm I was asking about the gunsmith.

If we want to debate the merits I can start a topic called Should a Rem 700 5R be accurized?

I shoot custom guns as these deliver what I need in competitions.

Thanks
    wade </div></div>sorry,just saw that.i don't know the gun smith.great base gun though.good luck!

Mike Rescigno at Tac Ops was doing these 700P tune up jobs for a while, but he got too busy with his customs, so he stopped doing them. I think he started referring people to William Roscoe for this work for a while, but I don't know if William does that any more if he ever did it. You can ask him.

The best thing you can do from an accuracy perspective is get a match barrel with the associated rechambering and so forth. Most people putting the effort into actually rebarreling the rifle would also want the action trued. Now that you have a trued action and a match barrel, do you really want that stock?

I was considering going the 5R with upgrades path... it is less of a cash outlay in the short run. But in the long run, you will spend more than with a custom gun.

If I had a 5R and were looking to upgrade, I would probably thieve the action, the bottom metal, and the trigger group and get the action trued and rebarreled and put it in a McMillan stock. I would then get the trigger pull set to 2.5 pounds and that would be a nice rig.

If you like the stock, then you can get all of that work for a lot less than a full custom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnnyDL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the chamber is already for 175's and up</div></div>

Unless they want to be able to seat to the lands for a thin-skinned projectile. Throat is long enough that I don't think I could reach the lands and have enough left in the neck on my 5r.

Fortunately for me I shoot the 175SMK, and seem to be able to get away with the extra .100 of jump - now I need to learn how to hold..;)

Edit: sorry - responded when I saw the comment above, before getting to the point to focus on the smith not the goal.

R&D precision used to do something like you are talking about.

Like has been said before, they shoot really good from the factory. If you aren't going after full custom, I wouldn't touch it until you knew that it didn't shoot to your specs.

A friend of mine is looking at getting into longer range shooting a step or two at a time. I recommended a Rem 700 5r in .308 to him as a good starting point.

I remember running across a gunsmith that had an accurizing package that they would do on a stock 700 5R at a reasonable cost. The operations if I remember right were:
    - recrowned
    - maybe bedded

I think you could send in your 5R or they would sell you one as a part of the package. Either way the price seemed to be good and it seemed a good place to be between a full custom and a factory stick.

Does this ring any bells for you guys, if you know who does this can you let me know.

Thanks

wade

In Bc, Canada's Fraser valley one gunsmith does this work. See GeoVario LLC - Web Access

R&D precision used to do something like you are talking about.

Like has been said before, they shoot really good from the factory. If you aren't going after full custom, I wouldn't touch it until you knew that it didn't shoot to your specs.

I agree but not all 5r rifles do. I bought one two days ago that likes to do 3/4 to 1 inch. Have made inquiries and will likely get canadaprecision.ca to do the work to blueprint, replace the 20" barrel with a 24", lap action and bolt lugs and steel epoxy bed the action as the aluminum block was not as well done as it should have been.

Last edited:
    It was Tactical Operations and it was for the 700P 26" barrel. They suspended the service some time ago and I would care to say they no longer offer it.
    Chances are the 5R will out shoot you at this point. Unless you have >1 MOA consistently from that rifle, I would concentrate my time a $$$ resources on shooting and or optics, bedding, reloading, etc. The core of the 5R is a damn good start for anyone.
    Shoot that barrel out, then start thinking of trying actions and rebarrel, etc.
    Good luck!

- recrowned
    - maybe bedded

Thanks

wade

Short action customs out of Ohio had, at one time, a special price for accurizing the sps tact.
    he still does the work, just not at the special price.
    His work is held in high regard.
    Russel at Scout Supply Company also advertises an accuracy job. His work is also held in high regard.

Either one of those two will fix you right up. Short Action Customs is a bit closer, but shipping is shipping.

You guys realize this question was asked 4 1/2 years ago, right?