• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rem 700 5R...Any reason not to cut my barrel down?

Jcas2012

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 28, 2011
Florida
I have a Remington 700 5r in 308 and am about to have a brake installed. I have been reading a lot about barrel lengths and still haven't come to a conclusion. I read a SWAT article saying there was no real difference in velocity loss with barrels from 26-20 inches yet other people chronographing velocity loss so I am a bit confused. My goal is to take her out to 1000 yards. Is there any reason I should not be able to get there with a 20-22 inch barrel? I know it won't take much to do while its up on the lathe so figured I would ask you all what you think. There is obviously the "tacticool" and handiness of a short barrel but are there any real cons to cutting it down for what I wanna do with it? Sorry if I am beating a dead horse, I tried to search but couldn't find much. Thanks guys.

Re: Rem 700 5R...Any reason not to cut my barrel down?

No longer than 22" for me and obviously without a brake.

My search fu is bad, but there is a vid on here somewhere of a GAP Gladious ringing steel at 1000 yards. The Gladious has a 18.5 inch barrel .

My beef shorter than 20",isn't from a performance standpoint,though rather a decibel standpoint.

But my bread and butter ain't Range Queen antics.

Depending on powders you will lose a little velocity going from 26 to 20

I'm trying to decide what length to have my 5r cut as well, I'm leaning towards having it cut and threaded at 16". 18" will be the longest I go with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: groundhogbuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might not lose much vel, I know I didn't Read this

www.tacticaloperations.com/SWATbarrel/

</div></div>

I read that article. Is it just that particular load aka FGMM 168g that happened to not have any affect on velocity loss? If I want to shoot the 175s will it be different? I don't get how guys are reporting loses with their chronographs yet the article written did not.

Most custom manufacturer barrels usually have higher velocity output than factories from what i've seen. Then there is the ability to go tight bore as well. I wouldn't cut it down. I'm running near max load on my .308 loads and only getting 2618fps with 175s. With the max load was getting 2640fps. LL gets 2770fps out of his tight bore 22" .308 running corbon ammo IIRC. I will eventually rebarrel though.

You missed these sentences [quoted without permission]:

For heavier bullets or hotter loads with slower burning powders, Rescigno recommends a 24- to 26-inch barrel. The longer barrel length is necessary for complete powder combustion with these loads. Rescigno adds that he has a 24-inch barrel on his personal .300 Win. Mag. just in case he wants "to shoot the heavier 220-grain bullets with a lot of powder."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCas45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: groundhogbuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might not lose much vel, I know I didn't Read this

www.tacticaloperations.com/SWATbarrel/

</div></div>

I read that article. Is it just that particular load aka FGMM 168g that happened to not have any affect on velocity loss? If I want to shoot the 175s will it be different? I don't get how guys are reporting loses with their chronographs yet the article written did not. </div></div>