• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 5R in 223. Stock question.

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
I am getting one of the Rem 700 5R's in 223. I am wondering what others who have these (in 223 or 308 or 300WM) think of the stock. I think they are full length bedding block HS Precision stocks. Is this the case?

I was planning on getting a Mc A5 so it would be the same as my 308 GAP in feel. But I am kind of thinking it may be wasting a fine stock. What are the general opinions on the supplied stock as well as the overall rifle? Including the new trigger.

Re: Rem 700 5R in 223. Stock question.

Went through two HS stocks on mine before I finally put a McM A4 on it.

The stocks aren't bad, they just don't fit my shooting hand well.

Hope this helps.

The 5Rs are nice rifles but go ahead and upgrade to the A5. I like the HS Precisions (non-palm swell)for hunting but I upgraded to McMillan A5s for the rest of my long range shooters.

mine is alright but still not perfect, adjusted the LOP to make it longer and added a karsten cheek piece and it fits good. i just don't really like the way my trigger hand fits it. i'm saving for a McMillan but i want better glass too and other projects too. my buddy has an A5 and i drool over his

They're good stocks, you are correct they are HS precision.

For me I did not like the huge palm swell on the stock. It seems to be a love/hate thing, for me it was hate, others love the big palm swell. I also would have preferred a more vertical grip. The butt pad could be better, it's pretty well a solid hunk of rubber. In the days of decelerator and limbsaver pads they could do a lot better.

It needs a cheek rest, but then again so does almost every stock out there that does not have an adjustable setup. Karsten's is great I just put one on a B&C stock.

The x-mark pro trigger...it depends on how light you want your trigger, it's well documented that the guys that are taking them down under 3.5 lbs are having problems with them staying adjusted. I've had two of them I'm left in the 3.5-4lb range and have not had that issue. If you want something under 3.5lbs it would seem the trigger is unreliable. creep and overtravel are not bad for a factory trigger. I'd take a old non-xmark or 40x trigger that had been worked/adjusted over it any day, but in all honesty if you have realistic expectations of it they are fine. If you want a super dreamy benchrest trigger, plan on replacing it.

I put a 5R stock on a SPS Tactical and I like it. But I happen to like the big plam swell. I think if I were looking to do immediate upgrades for the 5R it would be trigger first, just as ToddM advised.

I've had a PSS, a Sendero, a VLS, and I've shot a VSSF II. For ergonomics I really prefer the beavertail laminate handle. Those chunky grips of the H-S patterns don't suit me well. The LTR isn't bad in comparison.

I think I will just try it out as is and see how it shoots. Will see if it needs anything. I really want it to be comfortable for my 15 year old daughter more than me anyway. She wont admit it, but I think the 308 is a bit uncomfortable to her.

I didn't like the color of the metal on my 5R in .308 so I painted it. After shooting it a few times I noticed that the front of the stock had rubbed the paint on the barrel. The barrel is floated but mine has more space on one side than the other. "Barrel touching stock...Bad JuJu"... so I'll be digging the channel out a little more. When I can afford it, I'll be replacing the stock with a McMillan.

I will shoot it with the HS stock and see how it works. I am sure I will start looking for a Manners or McM A5 for it sooner or later(when funds allow, have to stay married).

I ordered a Premiere 3-15 for it, so the scope is being taken care of. This is the first 223 I have ever had that wasnt an AR. Cant wait.

When you get ready to upgrade to a McMillan A5, try John at this website:
http://www.jwprecision.ca

Great guy to deal with and usually has an A5 in stock that has the same barrel channel your 5R has. He's one of the commercial vendors on this site.