• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Rem 700 AAC-SD range results.....

mgd45

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2008
Ga.
Well guys, I got my new Remington 700 AAC-SD from my one time discounted purchase from Remington for attending the 700 Armorer course.....the price was too good no to take advantage of.....first of all the Hogue stock was crap & I spent probably half an hour taking a Dremel to it to free up the channel to keep the barrel floated. Putting a new stock on it will be the next purchase.....

Anyway, made up some hand loads with the 178 Amax bullets & took it to the range this afternoon.....put my old Bushnell Elite 10x scope on it.....

32c0e9c6.jpg

5 round group at 100 yards.....bipod and rear sandbag in prone position....target is a one inch red circle.....first 3 shots landed on same area.....prettty happy with the results...

b82d4067.jpg

With the last four rounds of the day, I moved back to 500 yards and put 4 rounds on a 2/3 sized steel target.....group came in around 2.4" measured from the center of the bullet splash marks....pretty damn happy with the results!!!! Not bad for a $400 purchase!!

4294a7cb.jpg

Re: Rem 700 AAC-SD range results.....

I'm headed to the range again to put another 20 rds through it....gonna see how consistent it is or if the first group was a fluke...

Yeah, it's a piece of shit for a stock offered on a "Tactical Precision" rifle. Remington & Hogue should both be embarrassed for this.....anyway, went back out for more shooting today.....

Average group size for 25 rounds is now 1.121".....

1b8e2cb6.jpg

Yesterday when I was shooting the target was in bright sunlight, but today it was covered in shade, while the sun was coming across my face from 3 o'clock.....kind of distracting......but this gives a better example of the rifle instead of yesterday's one group..

My son put a BC stock on his and is shooting the Hornady Factory 168 gr. Amax loads very well, you may want to get a box see how they run and if good build a load.

I was shooting one of my "pet loads" using the 43.7 grains of Varget with the 178 grain AMAX bullets and once fired Hornady TAP brass.....This recipe has shot bug holes from my GAP built rifle...

Haven't tried running any 168 factory ammo through it, but will keep doing the shooting until I get the new stock!

Those rifles are capable of much better. If you can't upgrade the stock, shoot off a bag instead of a bi-pod. Also, adjust the trigger. It takes a bit of dry firing to feel a difference and your groups will improve. In my 700 AAC, I had great results with H4895 with the 168 and 178 A-max. BTW, This would be a great stock for you Link

Yeah, I adjusted the trigger down to about 4 pounds....couldn't seem to get it any lower without the adjustment screw almost coming completely out...

That is a nice stock....but a little higher than I'm looking to spend right now...

Very nice 500 yard group.
I wouldn't sweat the 100 yd groups with what it seems to be doing at 500!
Great deal on that rifle also.

Thanks, I just did some testing at 100 with a 168 grain AMAX load....still shot pretty good, but what the hell, i just ordered a new stock for it.

Got the Bell & Carlson Medalist light tactical stock from Midway for $206......figured it would be a nice upgrade without breaking the bank....more pics to follow...

Here are some 3 shot groups I did trying to save on ammo.....not bad and the groups still seem to hang around the inch or a tad bigger in size.

f2148254.jpg

Fired 4 at 500 yards again & the group was at 3.400"......I have to admit that even though I believe the stock is crap.....the rifle performs fine for the money....still can't wait to see the improvement with the new stock.

be49b77c.jpg

Through the scope picture.....
703050da.jpg

Now before everyone blows a gasket about me shooting down a road.....it's a newly built bridge over a creek on our Dept. range which has no road leading to it and is literally a bridge in the middle of the woods. The construction crew is starting up the project in January which will put the road right through our range berm....so we're losing our range......but in the meantime, this project basically made our 100 yard range into a 500 yard range! Lol!