• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 action gauling?

Burleyboy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2010
Idaho
I picked up a SS Rem 700 in 22-250 for a donor action. I took the barrel off and noticed what looks like a little gauling on one of the recoil lugs. How common is this? I assume it's more common on SS actions than blued steel.

I've got lots of 700's and never done it to one of my own. I tend to keep some oil on the lugs though.

I likely have the action trued before I have it rebarreled anyways just hoping the lug cleans up without taking much off. I don't want to have the bolt moved.

Bb

Re: Rem 700 action galling?

i wouldn't worry too much about it my 700 does this as well talked to a friend of mine who coaches our olympic team and he stated the following:

what that is is you have a bit of sand or dirt that inevitably sometimes gets in and onto the rear of the lugs and you havent used grease on them so it galls

this will all eventually wear itself in and even out the galling back to an even surface providing you apply some grease to the rear of the recoil lugs.

i have started doing this and it will clean it up the other thing is my REM700 SPS a blued steel not stainless.

your choice if u want to get the lugs lapped it will definently ensure an even recoil force distribution between the 2 lugs in the short term
in the long term it may cut some life off it.

imho u are better off just applying the grease to the rear of the lugs and shoot it the accuracy shouldn't be too perturbed by it.

i haven't noticed any accuracy drop in my rifle and it is more than capable of shooting 1/4 moa to the 100 providing i do my part.

hope this helps

If you do lap the lugs be careful not to take to much off that will defintly iincrease your headspace for sure sometimes up to 8thousenths. If your a neet freek like me that would drive me crazy.

NOBODY welcome back!
grin.gif

Remington "stainless" bolts are made of three pieces...A stainless bolt handle, a stainless bolt body and a CM bolt head.

I did that to mine with powder. I didn't have them set deep enough and pulled a bullet out in my barrel. That was stupid, but I couldn't stop there. I just blew the powder out and kept on shooting. Then I noticed it was hard to close the bolt and there it was...... GALL-dang.