• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 and criterion barrel questions

Huntmaster.338

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2021
Missouri
So, im waiting on my wrench and go gauge. Playing around with the action and inserting loaded cases into the chamber with barrel screwed on, i noticed 3 different lengths of factory loaded ammunition chambers fine. But when i inserted my handloads, loaded at mag length of 2.81 ,(6creed), the bullet jammed into the lands. The freebore specs show .183. My question really is what will it be when i tighten it up with the go gauge? Really just trying to understand what the spacing will be when using the go gauge.

^^^^^^^
What he said.

The freebore will be where the freebore will be, you adjust your bullet seating depth to your
particular chamber.

How did you end up with 2.81 for your handloads?

2.81 is mag length for me. I honestly just assumed that cartridge would be plenty short enough to fit. Especially since sierra suggests 2.875 on their 110's. Just seems that its going to be plenty short??? Obviously i wont do anything til the gauge gets here for sure.

So your saying you loaded Sierra 110's at 2.81 and they touch the lands?

No, actually they are the 108 eldm's. Still waiting for some 110's. Ive hand loaded for lots and lots of years but this is my first purchase of an aftermarket barrel. Not to mention doing it myself. I know im thinking too much into it but just want to know where to start with cartridge oal to get some loaded.

So, im waiting on my wrench and go gauge. Playing around with the action and inserting loaded cases into the chamber with barrel screwed on, i noticed 3 different lengths of factory loaded ammunition chambers fine. But when i inserted my handloads, loaded at mag length of 2.81 ,(6creed), the bullet jammed into the lands. The freebore specs show .183. My question really is what will it be when i tighten it up with the go gauge? Really just trying to understand what the spacing will be when using the go gauge.
Just a quick question ... Are you using the mag-length to back off from the measured cartridge length max ... or are you using the mag-length to try and see how long you can load irrespective of overall length? The right way is to use one of the available tools (Hornady is common) to measure the distance to the lands, and then back off a couple of hundredths, and see if that fits in your magazine. If it's too long, you have two choices ... (1) load to that length and feed one round at a time, or (2) decrease to max mag length and live with a little bullet jump to get to the lands.

What are you measuring, and how are you responding to that measurement?

Well, i loaded up some before i even got the barrel. Just loaded to mag length because i assumed it wouldnt even be close to the lands. I was wrong. I can re-seat them deeper no big deal there. I do not have an oal gauge. Its on my list.

Well, i loaded up some before i even got the barrel. Just loaded to mag length because i assumed it wouldnt even be close to the lands. I was wrong. I can re-seat them deeper no big deal there. I do not have an oal gauge. Its on my list.
For most of my rifles ... I have to reduce COAL to fit in the magazines. The AICS mags for my MPA-300WM, and some of the calibers for my Barrett MRAD, are the exceptions. The gauge is really the only way to do this accurately.

Reactions: pabrousseau
Did you get a no go gauge too? Or are you going to put a piece of tape on the back of the go gauge?

No. Will use tape method. Yeah, im just waiting for the go gauge now and barrel nut wrench to get it together! Should be tomorrow! Finger is very itchy!

Cool. Are you going to completely disassemble the bolt before checking head space?

The longer story here; Ordered a 308 barrel on april 27th with a 16 week lead time. They kept pushing me out several times til i finally asked if they switched to a 6 creed how much more time it would take. They had them on the stinkin shelf! So, purchased dies, and all the necessities and here i am!

Reactions: Jscb1b
Who did you order your gauge from? I ordered mine(.300prc) from PT&G. I had them in less than ten days.

The longer story here; Ordered a 308 barrel on april 27th with a 16 week lead time. They kept pushing me out several times til i finally asked if they switched to a 6 creed how much more time it would take. They had them on the stinkin shelf! So, purchased dies, and all the necessities and here i am!
I ordered a Criterion barrel in 308 on March 12th, and I finally received it 2 weeks ago. I was quoted 20 weeks. I was told by NSS that Criterion had a serious issue specifically with 30 caliber barrels and they got way behind. He told me he had over 800 30cal barrels on order.

The SAAMI dimensions for the cartridge and chamber are in the following link.

SAAMI 6 Creedmoor Dimensions

The .400" datum on the shoulder is where one typically measures Base to Shoulder. Knowing that dimension on the reloaded cartridges is relevant. When you are putting the cartridge in the chamber the bullet is contacting the lands. The distance from the shoulder to the part of the bullet that contacts the lands is controlling. The bullet gets to the lands before the shoulder gets to the chamber. If the base to shoulder dimension is longer than SAAMI you are farther from the lands. If the base to shoulder dimension is shorter than SAAMI, the bullet is farther from the shoulder and closer to the lands. Meaning it gets to the lands sooner. You might have some tolerance stacking.

The shape of the bullet's nose, and the angle of the leade in the barrel also influence the relationship of cartridge overall length and land contact.

Hornady shows a 2.790" loaded overall length for the 108 ELD-M.

Hornady 6 Creedmoor Pages

Reactions: MarshallDodge
What Anon said...
If you're determining seating depth by cartridge OAL, it will often lead to the issue you're having.
If you take a tangential (think Match King) bullet, and a secant one (think VLD), bullets of identical weight -the difference in taper will result in different OAL when loaded to the lands.

If you don't have a headspace comparator, add that to your list with the OAL gauge.

Yes, the oal gauge and comparators are already in my cart! Only bullets i have right now are the hornady 108 eldm's. Seating them at a coal at 2.770 and 42grs of h4350 got me a .339inch 5 shot group. 3074 avg. Fps. Best so far anyway...

I ordered a Criterion barrel in 308 on March 12th, and I finally received it 2 weeks ago. I was quoted 20 weeks. I was told by NSS that Criterion had a serious issue specifically with 30 caliber barrels and they got way behind. He told me he had over 800 30cal barrels on order.
Serious issue as in backlogged?

Yes, the oal gauge and comparators are already in my cart! Only bullets i have right now are the hornady 108 eldm's. Seating them at a coal at 2.770 and 42grs of h4350 got me a .339inch 5 shot group. 3074 avg. Fps. Best so far anyway...
How much are you bumping your should back?