• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rem 700 AW mag cut help needed.

Ksracer

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
I need to open up the bottom of a 700 clone for a double stack AW mag on my Bridgeport. It doesn't look like rocket science, but I've never done it before. Can anybody share some dimensions, tricks, or trouble areas to avoid? Even pics would help.
Thanks!

I'll help you out, if it's a two lug bolt... don't bother. It won't feed right. If you have to have AW mags you need a triple lug action. I tried them with a Bighorn...never fed right, regular AI mags...butter. There's a lesson there.

I'll help you out, if it's a two lug bolt... don't bother. It won't feed right. If you have to have AW mags you need a triple lug action. I tried them with a Bighorn...never fed right, regular AI mags...butter. There's a lesson there.

I have a defiance with an aw cut and have run aw mags in it for years with no issues. So that's just not true.

As far as the dimensions of the cut and how to do it, not really sure.

I know other people running them in a 2-lug with no issues. I guess the only lesson is that YOU couldn't make them work, doesn't mean other people aren't capable of it though.

Maybe you could tell me what I could possibly do to change how they work? I bought a custom action machined specifically to work with them, it does...but it has problems, and it's not 100%. The AW mags were designed for a three lug action. Lots of people with two lug actions have problems with AW mags.

But you go ahead and prove everyone wrong, I'm sure you're machining abilities and equipment will outshine the likes of everyone else that's attempted it!

Most problems are related to mag height. Either the pillars aren't the correct length or the mag latch needs tuned. I've even had to remove materiel from the front of the mag to get them to sit high enough.

Most everyone I know that's used AW magazines has given up on it because of the tempermental feeding issues they've had.

Now with that said, I think there are a LOT of rifles out there with incorrect DBM installations. As was mentioned before, even with AI style magazines you need the pillars at the correct height (It's not always drop-in, even with a factory inlet for the correct action/DBM from Manners/Mcmillan). AW magazines and horizontal 2-lug bolts require it to be nearly perfect.

I've opted to go the American Rifle Company direction with magazines. Not much taller for a 10-rounder, and the smooth-feeding benefit of single-stack feedlips.

I’ll second the difficulties of long term reliable feeding of AW mags in a 2
lug action..... they may work for a while but wait until a little bit of dust gets in the follower and good luck!

as for the ARC magazines.... epic fail in my experience as well..... tried them in defiance, impact,
stiller and Curtis custom actions. They’ll reliably feed 7-8 rds then nose down and no amount of sanding the follower has helped, add a little dust and they won’t feed shit!!

i love to tinker myself so I get your desire to “upgrade” your action, however I have not experienced any “upgraded” performance, in fact I’ve had
both AW &ARC magazines fail me on more than one occasion.

All I’ll use is the trusty originals!

That's interesting with the ARC magazines. I know the little ribs on the front of the follower were giving some people issues. I had to open the feed lips up a bit because I'm running SAUM rounds, but before I did that I ran some .260 cartridges through them as they came and they ran slicker than snot. The SAUM cases feed out of them very well for me, also.

That's interesting with the ARC magazines. I know the little ribs on the front of the follower were giving some people issues. I had to open the feed lips up a bit because I'm running SAUM rounds, but before I did that I ran some .260 cartridges through them as they came and they ran slicker than snot. The SAUM cases feed out of them very well for me, also.

Same experience for me. As long as I kept them clean, the ARC's were as reliable as a standard AICS, and much smoother. Just not dirt friendly. I think I could fill an AW with gravel, and it would still push the rounds up.

Another example of how well two lug actions work with AW magazines. That's two pretty well known manufacturers with extensive sales and experience that haven't managed to make it work.

To make a double stack work the mag height and feed lip angles have to be right. Not everyone is comfortable tweaking feed lips. There isn't a mag that leaves here that I haven't adjusted.