• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 BDL Bottom Metal Bedding

Fox Popper

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2022
Australia
I just bedded my bottom metal on my B series Rem 700 BDL.
It was rocking between front and back (tang) slightly...with a gap about a matchstick thick at back.

Now....tang screw half fills hole...might get a longer replacement.

But...what caught my eye was that the action screw recesses are not parallel.

This means that tang end tightening flexes the floor plate, prior to bedding...when screws are tightened down!

Is this normal?
If so..
What's the idea behind it...

Thanks.
IMG_20221017_160321.jpg
IMG20221017153324.jpg

Did you find the high spot that was acting as the fulcrum letting it flex ?

The two screw points on bottom metal not parallel
Before bedded it would rock on the wood between magazine well and trigger well.
Now..as bedded, no rocking, as gap filled at tang.

This leaves tang screw half in tang.

Which could be remedied by a longer tang screw..

But...as bottom metal can't flex to a parallel state...screw not sitting flush .. perpendicular...which may not be an issue...but...surely not idea...

My wonder is...are bdl bottom metals usually parallel.?

If not...why so?

Are after market bottom metals parallel?

Curious...aren't I...🤗😉

My

BDL bottom metal is not parallel. The bottom of a Remington BDL stock is not parallel with the top. The front part of the bottom metal is parallel to the bottom of the receiver. The rear part is parallel to the bottom of the stock.

Screws should be perpendicular to the receiver. You sometimes have to recut the screw head seats in the bottom metal to allow the screws to seat properly. The inlet for the bottom metal should not allow any flexing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox Popper