• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing REM 700 Bedding / Blue printing

cuffm4615

Sergeant/ LEO
Minuteman
May 3, 2010
Miami, FLA.
If I have a Remington 700 with a bedded action and in the future I choose to have the action "blue printed",when I re-barrel, will the current bedding job be negatively affected?

Re: REM 700 Bedding / Blue printing

if you upgrade recoil lugs, yes. If you just have the action trued, it shouldn't.

if u reuse the stock recoil lug i dont see it being a problem as there should be enough room in the holes for the action to slide forward a few thousands to make up for the metal removed from the reciever face. but most smiths replace or surface grind the lug so you'll prob need to re bed the lug area

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cuffm4615</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I have a Remington 700 with a bedded action and in the future I choose to have the action "blue printed",when I re-barrel, will the current bedding job be negatively affected? </div></div>

Yes

But, maybe it will be fine. in fact good chance it will still shoot as long as not too much was removed from the receiver face.

If the lug is bedded tight and you seperate the barrel and action you probably will have to rebed the lug as it will be tough to line everything back up perfectly!

unless the recoil lug was pinned before the bedding, you will have to re-bed as nothing is ensuring the lug being timed out the same...

Thank you guys!! I am currently waiting on a Manners T5 with the mini chasis but was still planning on bedding. My round count on this rifle has got to be pretty high and I figure a new BBL. will be needed within the next year. Guess I'll either hold off on the bedding or make an early investment on the truing and BBL.