• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

REM 700 bolt lever?

msh441

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2019
I decided to treat myself and sent my Remington 700 TLR off for a bunch of work. After a decade +, finally giving it the upgrades I’ve always wanted to the bolt (AR extractor, dual ejectors, some machining on the tail & length of the bolt for cosmetics), as well as inletting the stock for a forward rail, and some other stuff.

Barreled action was removed from the stock, wrapped in bubble wrap, put in a hard case parallel the stuck, and the case went into a fitted box.

During shipping, the bolt lever apparently broke off and beat the crap out of the barrel & action (asking for details on the stock, but haven’t heard back yet). Is this as ‘common’ of a break as I’m being led to believe?

I knew the bolt lever had broken in shipping, but I’m just now being told this damage to the barrel/receiver after all other work is done, and catching sight of a ding through fresh Cerekote in a photo update of the ‘finished’ work. Asked about the stock (because it’s glass & foam!), but have yet to hear back.

I’m 8 months + into a job that was suggested a 30-day turnaround. A window of about 3 months, I couldn’t get a responce to e-mails, or calls. They just went dark. :/

A $600-700 quote, turned into and additional $200 to fix the bolt handle, and upon job completion, there’s a $200+ balance on something that my middle-of-COVID brain isn’t understanding.

And now I’m looking at refinishing!?!

Not a rant vs. the company, yet. They seem to have an excellent reputation here. But trying to understand and get some perspective right now as to how the cost doubled, the wait more than quadrupled, and my ‘like new’ gun was going to be returned damaged without any ‘heads up’ beyond the need to repair a broken bolt handle.

Can some please talk me off the ledge, here?

Reactions: 338dude
Not sure what you mean by "broke" but if you mean the joint where the handle itself is soldered onto the bolt body let go is not unheard of.

So if you want them to tig it back on then I wouldnt expect them to do it for free. And when they weld it on its going to discolor whatevers already there so it can be ugly or you can have them refinish it.

(everyone can tell you mean lri)

Not sure what you mean by "broke" but if you mean the joint where the handle itself is soldered onto the bolt body let go is not unheard of.

So if you want them to tig it back on then I wouldnt expect them to do it for free. And when they weld it on its going to discolor whatevers already there so it can be ugly or you can have them refinish it.

(everyone can tell you mean lri)
Appears you understood fine. Broke. Broken. Snapped at the tig weld. In wat I thought was a well packaged piece.

Nor would I expect them to pay if it was shipping damage. So $650 turned to 850. Yet now on top of the $850, there’s a outstanding balance of $250 for things I think I paid for 8 months ago (on what was supposed to be a 30 day turn around).

A might bit disappointed.

*Correction: $850 turned into $1000. So I DO owe an addition $260 for the bolt lever replacement.

Last edited:
So you sent a barreled action and stock to get just the bolt and stock worked on and the barreled action was dinged up by the broken bolt knob.
What your upset about is
A) they didn't inform you the bolt knob beat the shit out of the barreled action before working on it
2) they are taking longer than expected
C) there is a mystery charge of $200
This is just to clarify your issues.
Have you called and talked to them about the charge?

Get you one of these…

CA4C2880-7070-4853-8223-173FF80F2072.jpeg

Have you ever taken a new gun out of the box? There's a reason that they don't ship with the bolt in the action. That being said- if you are being accurate with "beat the crap out of the barrel" then something else happened. The bolt handle didn't do that-

Side note- about 2 months ago had a 700 bolt come off.... $60 and it looks/works great. If they can't do better than $200 with the other issues/delays then I'd be done with them...... but always 2 sides to a story. Generally once it gets on a forum the chance of making some kind of a deal-happy ending goes way down.

Have you ever taken a new gun out of the box? There's a reason that they don't ship with the bolt in the action. That being said- if you are being accurate with "beat the crap out of the barrel" then something else happened. The bolt handle didn't do that-

Side note- about 2 months ago had a 700 bolt come off.... $60 and it looks/works great. If they can't do better than $200 with the other issues/delays then I'd be done with them...... but always 2 sides to a story. Generally once it gets on a forum the chance of making some kind of a deal-happy ending goes way down.
especially if it's a well known Hide supporter/contributor

I decided to treat myself and sent my Remington 700 TLR off for a bunch of work. After a decade +, finally giving it the upgrades I’ve always wanted to the bolt (AR extractor, dual ejectors, some machining on the tail & length of the bolt for cosmetics), as well as inletting the stock for a forward rail, and some other stuff.

Barreled action was removed from the stock, wrapped in bubble wrap, put in a hard case parallel the stuck, and the case went into a fitted box.

During shipping, the bolt lever apparently broke off and beat the crap out of the barrel & action (asking for details on the stock, but haven’t heard back yet). Is this as ‘common’ of a break as I’m being led to believe?

I knew the bolt lever had broken in shipping, but I’m just now being told this damage to the barrel/receiver after all other work is done, and catching sight of a ding through fresh Cerekote in a photo update of the ‘finished’ work. Asked about the stock (because it’s glass & foam!), but have yet to hear back.

I’m 8 months + into a job that was suggested a 30-day turnaround. A window of about 3 months, I couldn’t get a responce to e-mails, or calls. They just went dark. :/

A $600-700 quote, turned into and additional $200 to fix the bolt handle, and upon job completion, there’s a $200+ balance on something that my middle-of-COVID brain isn’t understanding.

And now I’m looking at refinishing!?!

Not a rant vs. the company, yet. They seem to have an excellent reputation here. But trying to understand and get some perspective right now as to how the cost doubled, the wait more than quadrupled, and my ‘like new’ gun was going to be returned damaged without any ‘heads up’ beyond the need to repair a broken bolt handle.

Can some please talk me off the ledge, here?

As stated in previous emails:

For the last year (13 months now) I've been in/out of the shop because of health concerns. I have just recently (June, 2022) been finally diagnosed with a neurological disease; Neuromyelitis Optica. Yes, it took the better part of 12 months for the docs to figure it out because I have the rarest form that does not show up in an antibody test. I am the only person who does the Time/Tig work here. My vision and the ability to hold a TIG torch effectively were suffering before getting a diagnosis and the follow-up treatment regimen. This is NOT an excuse. It is an explanation as to why things took as long as they did. I've had this same conversation with several of our other clients to keep people informed.

Next: Your rifle's handle broke when you shipped your parts to us. My wife, Kalli, notified you of this via text when your stuff arrived here. That was sent via text with a photo. When she does an intake of a job, she conducts a detailed inventory of everything sent. We don't have a crystal ball to know a gun's appearance before it shows up here.

We update jobs with our tracker system. Photos are taken along with quick notes advising of status. That is when you made mention of the blemish on your barrel. Upon looking at it, we confirmed your concern that it is a "ding" and not a piece of lint in the photo. Regardless, it was not caused by anyone here at the shop. It's the result of you shipping a rifle in a hard case with the bolt installed into the receiver. The handle snapped while shipping from you to us, rattling around like a ball in a paint can. The damage that resulted is on you, sir, not me. Your conclusion that I am somehow liable and that your stuff "better be returned in pristine condition" is absurd at best. Attempting to threaten me is not how to achieve a favorable outcome. I can promise you that.

For the record: I've been at this game for over a quarter century. I've been in business for 14 years. If burning bridges with people were part of my standard practice, this forum would be one of the first to know about it, and my feet would be held to the fire. (as they should be) My staff is not infallible. There have been incidents where someone made a goof, dropped a part, scratched it, whatever. When this happens, it goes back to the finishing department for a do-over. Letting it slide is simply not worth the yeast infection that will follow. I am responsible for everything that happens under this roof.

however, in this instance, we did not damage your stuff.

I offered you three solutions for the damage.

1. Leave it alone (free of charge)
2. Attempt a spot repair (which we did do with marginal success) (free of charge)
3. Recoat the barrel, receiver, and recoil lug at our standard rates

Good luck to you.

C.

Last edited:
Oh, OK. In case anyone was curious, It’s LRI.

Since you choosing to do this publicly, I’m fine with it. Honestly wasn’t going to say who it was. Just wanted to get a justifiable rant out there, as I believe there’s some stuff here I absolutely deserve to be pissed off about in this situation. Some bad packing choices on my part? Yup. Some terrible business practices and horrible attitude from what seems to be a generally well respected service provider? Absofreakinlutely.

I was wrong about two things:

First, after pouring through 8+ months of checking and card account activity, I was NOT billed back in January as I had thought, waaaaay back when I was advised that the bolt lever had broken off in shipping. I have ‘only’ paid $850 to LRI for the initial services I requested. Mia culpa.

Secondly, I was also wrong on the dates. It was shipped to them in the last half of NOVEMBER 2021. First update from LRI was in January 2022 (so much for their quoted turn around). COMPLETELY stopped getting any response to emails or calls in March/April, until just recently. Realizing this didn’t make me feel better.

I believe I have some reasonable gripes. I’ll bet the price of an refinishing that there’s SOMEONE here on these boards that has sent LRI a rifle or two during the last several months that were successfully completed and returned in the time frames suggested on LRI’s site. But now mine’s ready to go. So let’s get it on the way home!

Where I am absolutely NOT wrong was the fact I was NEVER advised of any shipping damage to anything other than the bolt/handle. I’ve looked at the pics provided by LRI, and the texts (which only duplicated those available online). ZERO hints or mentions of anything about the receiver/barrel. I only caught sight of the damage one of the most recent pictures, saying it was ready to come back. The response when asked about a scratch and chip was, ‘I get banged up guns all the time. How am I supposed to recognize what’s new damage?’. Uh, ok. I guess me describing it as ‘new’ didn’t clue anyone in. That’s fine. Sortof makes sense, really. And really, my bad for not knowing bolt handles are insanely delicate, apparently. I’m new to bolt guns. Oh, well. It oesn’t change the fact that I’ve been waiting this long, or that any suggestions that any barrel and receiver damage was documented, and sent to me in pictures is 100% BS. (You either recognized additional damage beyond just the bolt and sent me pics… or you didn’t know there was additional damage ‘as you get banged up guns all the time’. Because both can’t be true)

Then a flurry of response emails that just keep reiterating ‘your fault, your fault, your fault!’’ and then ’I’m really sick, but that’s no excuse’. When all I’ve been asking for over the past week has been a copy of my invoice(s), and maybe some more pics, just to see the current condition of my gun. Pics because one of my old friends has moved down in CA, does Cerekoting full time, and has offered to have it sent directly to him for refinishing. But nope. Can’t be bothered with providing any of that stuff. Just more ‘YOUR FAULT!’ in return (literally just trying to avoid shipping it TWICE).

In addition, the only time I suggested that LRI staff was potentially liable for the damage was just as you were completing the work, and before I was told ANYTHING about additional shipping damage from the loose bolt handle. The explanation that it rattled around loose is not in question IMO. I just never expected these were apparently that delicate. You are of course not responsible, if that’s what occurred. But until I pointed it out, there had been not a peep about it. So what should have I assumed seeing my gun like that for the first time in 10 months?

Your sick. Seriously? Could’ve mentioned that somewhere along the way. I am sincerely sorry about hearing that, I am trying to be empathetic, I truly am. But you’re really not making it easy. You communicated with customers… not a peep to me, and not a single email responce or responce to VM for MONTHS until the latest update. Seriously, I know you don’t want to hear about my 2021, but too bad, here’s your taste:

The whole ‘long range’ thing was supposed to be rehab and therapy for me. A whole ‘blown up back/neck, multiple surgeries, lasting TBI, and a wicked PTSD diagnosis’ thing threw me out of service and back into civvy life unexpectedly, about a decade earlier than I’d ever planned. Turns out this situation is a whole different kind of therapy. More skills application controlling PTSD rage, general anger, and disappointment. Pretty much over it, at this point, and fear the thing will get thrown in the safe and forgotten about. But I digress.

As I’ve acknowledged in emails, and subsequent calls since Friday, I know I owe you for the bolt handle repair. I WANT TO PAY YOU. You just need someone there at LRI to actually pick up the damn phone, or send me a link where I can settle up.

So that remains my pick of your three offered options. If you want to know what I think is ‘right’ in this situation? Send me the gun and eat the $250. NOT BECAUSE YOURE RESPONCIBLE FOR THE DAMAGE… but you’re responsible for radically blowing your turnaround by tenfold. Or I’ll pay, and Cerekote the barrel and action or your dime. Again, NOT BECAUSE YOUR RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DAMAGE, but as gratis for again, wasting my time.

Honestly, I expect neither, and would be very uncomfortable with you doing any more work on any gun of mine. Not because I question quality… I have zero reason to question whether or not you are as skilled as you, and others here have said… but because I fear a refinish will take 5 or 6 more months to complete! So for chris’sakes, let me just pay you, and walk away! I’ll happily forget the name LRI, eventually.

Last edited:

Two dings and scratch I could see on the barrel, in front of the action. Through the finish, silver metal showing underneath . And the gun was essentially 10-year-old new-old-stock. It’s been in my dad’s safe, unfired, until he gave it to my as a ‘retirement’ present, encouraging me to take up the hobby and go shoot with him (he’s not really into my type of range time). I’ve always been a bit OCD, so take that FWIW.

Bottom line, a couple dings through to shiney metal, and no additional pics provided, despite my repeated requests. Also asked for pics of the stock, since it was rattling around bad enough in a hard foam lined case, inside a fitted box… curios how my foam/glass Medalist stock faired as well. Keeps ignoring that question, too. Guess it’ll just be a fun surprise when it gets home in a few months.

Yes, I’ve taken many a gun out of a box. First bolt gun ever. So no. I had no idea. I obviously assumed welded meant WELDED. Totally on me. But that’s not the sole reason or rationale as to why I’m pretty upset over this situation, either.

CE18C0AD-64C0-49AE-8122-5CC1EF974C8F.jpeg
Gun arrived today… and I’m going to publicly eat a little crow, here, where appropriate.

The stock (one of my bigger fears being it got dinged up, and a large part of the costs were inletting the stock)… was absolutely fine.

The barrel and receiver… the touch up LRI performed was in my option, even being a really picky guy… was actually just fine.

Machine work on the bolt body firing pin housing/stock… was excellent.
Work on the ejectors/extractor/bolt face? Beautiful.

The one thing I could nitpick: replacement bolt handle is ROUGH. Cast marks and seams on all four sides. At least a cleanup in a blasting cabinet, first, after skeletonizing, I would think? Is it a deal dealbreaker? No. Just a minor attention to detail/finish work complaint. But not equivalent to what came off versus was welded on and returned (pic for ref)

My plastic case took some damage. Broken latch. I assume when I shipped that direction. Never mentioned that before. Not the end of the world, but again, could’ve probably taken a few pics and I would’ve followed up with the carrier. Communication fail.

Any one of the three unfulfilled requests for pictures when I caught a glimpse of the ding, or even a description or assurance’the stock looks fine’, instead of long emails about shipping damage at a scale I was not told about upon receipt, or how the damage was my fault… or any cooperation in documenting shipping damage that I could’ve maybe addressed with the carrier early on in a timely fashion would have absolutely eased my concerns, and probably avoided most of this.

Bottom line: Work overall was excellent. Communication was not ideal. Turn around sucked. Attitude when I voiced any concerns whatsoever, absolutely sh|++y.

But yeah, I was imagining the worst, and not getting any additional info to suggest otherwise.

YMMV