• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 bolt replacement questions

SupressYourself

Hillbilly Intellectual
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2017
Eastern ND
First off, I admit to knowing pretty much dick on this particular subject. I've done some research, but some things are not entirely clear.
I have done quite a bit of "bubba-smithing", including assembling ARs, glass bedding, and replacing Savage barrels, so I'm not completely inept.

Scenario:
I have a left-hand, long action, magnum bolt face Rem 700. It's currently still got the factory 7mm Rem Mag barrel on it. I'd like to swap out the barrel for one chambered in a cartridge that uses the standard (308) size bolt face, in which case, I also need a new bolt. I'd like to do any work myself, because if I have to send it out to get blueprinted, timed, etc, I might as well just buy a new custom action. While it needs to function correctly and shoot well, I have other custom rifles, so I don't need this one to be "the best."

Questions:
1. Is it reasonable to believe that I can just buy a used 700 bolt from somewhere and slap it in the action, assuming I headspace the new barrel properly? Or will I likely have bolt timing issues -- which I admittedly don't fully understand just yet?

Option 2 would be to buy a new bolt from PTG (or similar).
2. PTG has 4 different extractor cuts (Remington, Sako, M16 and Mini M16). It seems that the M16 ones are preferred over Remington, but that's about all I know. Is the mini "better" than the standard M16 or vice versa?
3. Is there potential for the same kind of timing and fitting issues going this route?

Yes you can slap another remington bolt in it. Most remingtons have shit handle timing anyway, so not a big hazard. You can also just have the bolt face altered. This used to be a common practice. The PTG bolts work fine, and they can be had a couple of ways. One piece, or two piece. The two piece requires timing/attaching the handle. I prefer the remington extractor in all cases. Its simpler and doesn’t dick with angle of ejection.

1-stay away from PTG, if they haven’t fucked you they will
2- seems like the bolt swap would work if you were to use a Remage style barrel, where you set headspace on barrel installation.or have a gunsmith fit a shouldered barrel.
3-timing issues will depend on what era the bolt and action are from. This can be determined by serial number.

- Yes, I'm aware of PTGs reputation. Some bolts are available on Midway and other places, but not in left-hand that I can see.
- I do plan on going the Remage route. Having re-barreled a Savage, I'm a fan of the barrel nut system. Other than the "look" of the nut, I'm not sure why they're not all done that way.
- The action is from 2016 or thereabouts. I found one potential bolt on ebay, and it doesn't say, but looks much older.

LH is going to be the problem for ya.
I don't know if Mack makes them, but it worth checking.

As for your option 2, rather than a one-piece I'd go with a two-piece.
Get the bolt body, blue it/slide it into the receiver and scribe it- then send it to Dan at Accu-Tig to weld on a bolt handle.
Cost will be similar to a one-piece, and the handle will be correctly located/ timed to maximize primary extraction.

Reactions: SupressYourself
I wonder if a place like LRI would make you a bolt for you? Might be worth a phone call.

The Zermatt barrel nut doesn't look like a Savage nut, if that matters. It can also use a standard 12 point wrench instead of a special tool.

Reactions: Average guy
Honestly, by the time you get a bolt and make sure it is fitted well, you will darn near be to an Origin…..

Just something to think about.

I was kind of afraid of that. The thing is, I don't really need another rifle, I just want to do something useful with this one.

2- seems like the bolt swap would work if you were to use a Remage style barrel, where you set headspace on barrel installation.or have a gunsmith fit a shouldered barrel.
3-timing issues will depend on what era the bolt and action are from. This can be determined by serial number.

This should be added to the 10 Commandments. No truer words spoken ever by anyone.

First off, I admit to knowing pretty much dick on this particular subject. I've done some research, but some things are not entirely clear.
I have done quite a bit of "bubba-smithing", including assembling ARs, glass bedding, and replacing Savage barrels, so I'm not completely inept.

Scenario:
I have a left-hand, long action, magnum bolt face Rem 700. It's currently still got the factory 7mm Rem Mag barrel on it. I'd like to swap out the barrel for one chambered in a cartridge that uses the standard (308) size bolt face, in which case, I also need a new bolt. I'd like to do any work myself, because if I have to send it out to get blueprinted, timed, etc, I might as well just buy a new custom action. While it needs to function correctly and shoot well, I have other custom rifles, so I don't need this one to be "the best."

Questions:
1. Is it reasonable to believe that I can just buy a used 700 bolt from somewhere and slap it in the action, assuming I headspace the new barrel properly? Or will I likely have bolt timing issues -- which I admittedly don't fully understand just yet?

Option 2 would be to buy a new bolt from PTG (or similar).
2. PTG has 4 different extractor cuts (Remington, Sako, M16 and Mini M16). It seems that the M16 ones are preferred over Remington, but that's about all I know. Is the mini "better" than the standard M16 or vice versa?
3. Is there potential for the same kind of timing and fitting issues going this route?

How many left-handed bolts would you like sir? When Remington went "SuperNova" and imploded a couple years back I was given access to the Custom Shop to purchase as much inventory as they were willing to sell to me.

Just to be clear:

The fact these came out of the RCS doesn't mean that there's something "special" about these bolts. They are rack-grade, New Old Stock (NOS) inventory items. At the time I purchased a mess of receivers as well and we had a little deal last year where I flogged a bunch of them. These are just the leftovers. Most of these bolt bodies have run through our tune-up process. A lot of them have been refaced, set up with our M16 xtr, and fitted with dual ejectors. There are also a bunch that are untouched.

Note, I do NOT have any fire control assemblies. You'd have to source that on your own.

Happy to help.

C.

292492577_2097212543791483_6501203640803200527_n.jpg

Because I'm a total whore...

I also have LH, LA receivers. They've been Blueprinted in our 5x.

$450 for the receiver, a bolt, and a lug.

Lugs will be a little bit. I have a few ### through 1st op. Still have to run em through 2nd op and they have to be ground.

16577461425225564220724233725389.jpg

Reactions: JMGlasgow