• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing rem 700 bolt tear down problems

steveea

Private
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2011
I have the sinclare main spring removal tool. I have compressed and removed retaining pin, however rear cocking piece will not come out. It should just slide out right? I have even tried a little force with brass punch but no movement. Am I missing something? Thanks.

Re: rem 700 bolt tear down problems

Sometimes, I have to knock them off with a small hammer and punch. There's a slight burr on the firing pin thats holding the cocking piece on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sometimes, I have to knock them off with a small hammer and punch. There's a slight burr on the firing pin thats holding the cocking piece on. </div></div>

Spot on. The CP gets really comfortable where its at and doesn't like to move. Soak it in Kroil (or whatever you use) and then tap it off. If you search through my posts you'll see what we use to disassemble Remmy bolts and wish you hand't spent the money on the Sinclair tool.

Good choice on spring compression tool.
With cross pin removed from firing pin/striker-

Unthread the T handle compressing the spring.
Unthread the shroud & f/pin assy from the tool.
Drill clearance hole(3/16") in 2" thick piece of wood to insert f-pin vertically to pin stop shoulder.
Compress spring w/shroud w/both hands on top to eliminate flying pieces.
Use shroud as slide hammer to bump striker from pin.

Once disassembled-
Remove burrs from cross pin hole in f-pin to ease reassembly.

Leave the hammers & punches for blacksmiths.

One other thing, when re-assembling, make sure that the holes in the cocking piece and the firing pin line up correctly. They are not always drilled in the center and you maty have to rotate one or the other line the holes up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANS40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leave the hammers & punches for blacksmiths. </div></div>

I didnt say wack the shit out of it Dan. Just an FYI, I'm about as far from a fucking blacksmith as you can get.

+1 on the holes not always being on center. Sometimes there seems to be a slight vacuum effect and they come off with a pop. I've gently tapped a few of them off with a 12oz hammer and a punch or flat blade screwdriver and never left any marks or bent any firing pins.