• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 Custom Shop, 762x51, Stainless heavy barrel in AICS chassis w Leupold Scope that was modified by Premiere Optics which is no longer open

Pazzo PA

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2023
PA
I bought this rifle around 10 years ago and I still cant figure out whats what due to the missing specs/manuals. Would love to learn what is has so I can at least scratch the surface of its capability.
If anyone is familiar with this set up and can help it is much appreciated.
Detailed pictures are on the way.
Thank you

Post up some photos and I'm sure some forum members will be able to help - what is it exactly you're trying to understand about the gun? Premier Reticles did work on Leupold scopes that either changed or enhanced the magnification, so it's possible you have something like that.

Is the receiver marked Remington 700 or 40-X? I've seen a 40-X with a stainless barrel stamped 7.62 NATO . Supposed to have come from the Custom Shop.

Here are a few

Attachments

• 20220913_164731.jpg
    20220913_164731.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 285
  • 20220225_091432.jpg
    20220225_091432.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 214
  • 20220225_091216.jpg
    20220225_091216.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 179
  • 20220225_091149.jpg
    20220225_091149.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 175
  • 20220225_091146.jpg
    20220225_091146.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 172
  • 20220225_091144.jpg
    20220225_091144.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 178
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 202
  • Inked20220913_164624.jpg
    Inked20220913_164624.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 238
Few more

Attachments

• 20220228_121541.jpg
    20220228_121541.jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 20220303_091645.jpg
    20220303_091645.jpg
    582.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 20220303_091654.jpg
    20220303_091654.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 20220303_091703.jpg
    20220303_091703.jpg
    511.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 20220303_091711.jpg
    20220303_091711.jpg
    382.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 20220303_091725.jpg
    20220303_091725.jpg
    492.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 20220303_091859.jpg
    20220303_091859.jpg
    476.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 20220303_091943.jpg
    20220303_091943.jpg
    547.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 20220225_091402.jpg
    20220225_091402.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 20220225_091506.jpg
    20220225_091506.jpg
    762.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 20220228_091538.jpg
    20220228_091538.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 20220228_121233.jpg
    20220228_121233.jpg
    675.9 KB · Views: 110
My guess is what you have is a regular 40-X, all came from the custom shop I believe, that was put in a Accuracy International stock. Scope was modified by Premier Reticle and mounted in Badger 30mm rings; 1" scope with 30mm to 1" reducers. If it was an XC the barrel would have tapped for a front sight block.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
Looks good! It should be a good shooter if you do your part.
What reticle is in the scope? Is it first or second focal plane?

The rifle is unreal its like the Rock of Gibraltor and even a novice like me can hit bullseyes over and over at 300 yards using random cheap ammo and aiming it in the general direction... my issue is mostly the scope. It is stamped Vari-x III 4.5-14 Tactical but I cannot figure out or understand what mods were done by Premier reticles as they are now defunct. I remember the salesman at the gun shop saying something about "bullet drop compensated" and also if you look closely at the pic rails its mounted on, the front one is lower than the rear one and I have no idea what that is for.
I hate using any device half assed including a scope. If I can't figure out how to correctly utilize its "features" ill just get rid of it and throw on a new long range scope that I can read up on and learn it fully... this Leupold scope may be amazing but even experientially I can't figure it out.

Also the trigger is too soft for me. Im not sure if I can adjust it or not and if not can anyone recommend a nice crisp preferably 2 stage trigger that would work on that setup.
Thanks

I remember the salesman at the gun shop saying something about "bullet drop compensated" and also if you look closely at the pic rails its mounted on, the front one is lower than the rear one and I have no idea what that is for.

Premier Reticles changed reticles as requested. An old Leupold like that might have had a Duplex reticle, and the late Dick Thomas (owner of Premier) would change it out for a Mil-Dot or other reticles. So whatever reticle that scope has it in now...that was likely a replacement reticle and not the original one. I have owned and seen several Premier Reticle Leupolds, some had been converted to 1st focal plane, and some had odd-ball reticles with BDC stadia lines to represent the point of impact at different distances, using a set type of ammunition. I really like those early Accuracy International green chassis for the short action M700, but can't seem to find a chassis for sale...that's a neat rifle you have, IMO.

Reactions: deltawiskey
and also if you look closely at the pic rails its mounted on, the front one is lower than the rear one and I have no idea what that is for.

That is to compensate for the difference in height of the rifles receiver bridge front/rear. This is standard base dimensions on any form of 700 or winchester 70.
If you look at a one piece base you will see the rear of it has more height than the front.
Best to you.

The rifle is unreal its like the Rock of Gibraltor and even a novice like me can hit bullseyes over and over at 300 yards using random cheap ammo and aiming it in the general direction... my issue is mostly the scope. It is stamped Vari-x III 4.5-14 Tactical but I cannot figure out or understand what mods were done by Premier reticles as they are now defunct. I remember the salesman at the gun shop saying something about "bullet drop compensated"
I hate using any device half assed including a scope. If I can't figure out how to correctly utilize its "features" ill just get rid of it and throw on a new long range scope that I can read up on and learn it fully... this Leupold scope may be amazing but even experientially I can't figure it out.

Take a picture of the reticle and post it. Somebody here can tell u what premier did.

Those scopes came factory with either a duplex or a mil-dot reticle. I had both. They were a functional target grade scope for its time. I won a European sniper match with one, and it stayed in Europe with a Cz Republic sniper who used it in Afghanistan his first tour there.
Nothing wrong with the scope as it came from the factory. They worked fine. I still have one from 25 years ago, still using it.
Compared to newer, 30mm, 34mn, or 35mm tube scopes, it's dim as f in low light. But, it worked as intended.

Best to you.

Last edited:
Further, fwiw, your 40x is a late model stainless version. They shot no problem ok. The factory triggers were anywhere from great, to shit, in those years.

Back to the scope. It being a 1" tube, only has 45 minutes elevation and windage built in it. They had a few dead clicks as well on the ends of the travel which might fool you into thinking it has more than 45...
Being it only has 45, depending on the base taper, all 45 may not be usable. That was the downside of 1" tube scopes, many wouldn't zero past 600-700 yards.

You will most likely be happier with a 30mm scope tube with 90-100 minutes of elevation/windage.

Best to you.

Last edited:
Further, fwiw, your 40x is a late model stainless version. They shot no problem ok. The factory triggers were anywhere from great, to shit, in those years.

Back to the scope. It being a 1" tube, only has 45 minutes elevation and windage built in it. They had a few dead clicks as well on the ends of the travel which might fool you into thinking it has more than 45...
Being it only has 45, depending on the base taper, all 45 may not be usable. That was the downside of 1" tube scopes, many wouldn't zero past 600-700 yards.

You will most likely be happier with a 30mm scope tube with 90-100 minutes of elevation/windage.

Best to you.
Awesome, you just answered a question I had about one of my leupolds, I ran out of adjustment on the 600, thought it was broke, because the turret was clicking, but I wasn’t getting any movement. I haven’t shot it since I got it back from leupold, lol!

Reactions: j-huskey
Thank you all for the help with unraveling the specs of this rifle and scope. I really appreciate it. After 3 tries over 3 years I finally got an understanding tech support gentleman from Leupold on the phone. He had me send it in and he will see what can be done. I think that is the way it should be being that Leupold and Premiere did in fact have a working relationship when this scope was sent over for mods (its a '98 scope).
The other 2 previous tech people I spoke to made it very clear they wanted nothing to do with me or the scope after I said it has a Premier sticker on it. So I am now excited and optimistic awaiting the results on the scope which I will share on here.
Now for the rifle... the receiver is stamped 40X but in the stamped serial # there is a B on the end and the little paperwork that I do have for it from the Rem Custom Shop says something else. I am still trying to understand its history... what it was originally, what mods were done and its current state.
See pics below. Pretty cool that a shooter from Remington had to test it out and sent the results. Still no idea what those rods are for.1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

The one on the right is a Possum Hollow bore guide and solvent port for cleaning. Not sure about the one on the left, haven't seen anything like that before.

Be aware that Leupold may change your reticle if it's a Premier reticle.
I've read several stories of people sending in a scope with a Gen 2 mildot reticle and getting back a TMR reticle. The scopes were sent in for service check ups , not anything reticle related. This was a few years ago.

I think the gist of Leupold's policy regarding Premier-modified Leupold scopes is that they'll remove any Premier parts and return the optic to original factory condition. In this scope's case it may be returned with a USMC mildot reticle.

The rod w knob is a top rod/scope stand rod. Some were sold by Al Freeland, some by Champions Choice from Laverne TN, and some xx othera.
Back to the mystery that's not a mystery. The rifle box identifies the rifle as a 40xb with Kevlar stock. I've owned a couple. I mentioned earlier it's a late 90's iteration of the 40xb. Receiver marked 40x , and the B serial prefix. Just like both of mine.
If one does a Google search with "remington 40xb", enough information is available to answer 99.9% of most questions on the 40xb series of rifles, and I found two specific to this run of rifles.
Life flies on by.

I thank you again gentleman for the education on "the mystery that's not a mystery". Still a few holes but much of it is coming together for me to get an accurate and complete picture of that rifle.

Somebody took the remington Kevlar stock off and put an accuracy chassis on it.
Remington will not b able to answer that question, much less what modifications the previous owner "might" have done.

You may never know ^^^ that, unless you find the previous owner and ask.

Otherwise you have a very nice rifle, capable of shooting any match grade ammunition to distance with winning scores.

Post #5 above is incorrect for this rifle, as Remington made several runs like your rifle, and at the end, was selling naked barreled actions just like yours, those actions/barrels did not have the custom shop targets guaranteed accuracy targets.

Thank you for that j-huskey!
Can you please clarify what that means... "Remington made several runs like your rifle, and at the end, was selling naked barreled actions just like yours, those actions/barrels did not have the custom shop targets guaranteed accuracy targets."

Remington made the blue steel versions.
Then the stainless version.
Then a second run of the stainless version with a choice of stock options.
Then they sold the same barreled actions without stocks as they went into bankruptcy.
The finished rifles came with the accuracy targets from the custom shop.
The barreled actions came with nothing but a barreled action, trigger, and bolt. Put it in a stock of your choice and shoot it. A couple of my shooters bought those actions. There is no difference in them and your action , only how they were sold. We found no difference in accuracy.

Remington made the blue steel versions.
Then the stainless version.
Then a second run of the stainless version with a choice of stock options.
Then they sold the same barreled actions without stocks as they went into bankruptcy.
The finished rifles came with the accuracy targets from the custom shop.
The barreled actions came with nothing but a barreled action, trigger, and bolt. Put it in a stock of your choice and shoot it. A couple of my shooters bought those actions. There is no difference in them and your action , only how they were sold. We found no difference in accuracy.Thank you. The pics above that I sent

Thank you again for that. The pics below that came with my rifle in an envelope labeled Custom Shop, are those accuracy targets or something else?

1692628436646.png
1692628682445.png

Thank you for that Sir! Feels great to hear some accurate, positive news for a change.

Still a few holes but much of it is coming together for me to get an accurate and complete picture of that rifle.

Here's all I think one can discern. I think the "BO" stamped on the barrel is Remington's build date. (post #6, picture # 4) My guess is B = 2007, and O = July. (I think the "AT" might be the initials of Remington's inspector who did the final inspection of that rifle). Deciphering info:

So, if you bought the rifle about "10 years ago," my guess is the rifle was made in mid-2007, assuming I understand that barrel's date code.
That first generation AI chassis system is likely from the late 200Xs or maybe early 201Xs, and I assume it was installed by the previous owner.

...I wish I could find one of those old green AI chassis for a SA Remington, that old school look really appeals to me...

BTW, here's the 2007 Remington catalog w/ your rifle. The "KS" stands for Kevlar Stock, but that was subsequently swapped for that AI chassis.

Remington_2007_catalog_40-XB_KS.jpg

So it seems to be a 2007 dated Model 40-XB KS, and someone swapped out the original stock, and mounted a Leupold scope and Leupold rings on it.
...That's all I know.

Last edited:
  • Love
Thank you for that information. Yes the AI chassis was installed by the original and previous owner. As far as getting one, while on my current quest for info I have come across a lot of them... last I spoke to Accuracy Intl they even had some gen 1 short action chassis left over. I will keep my eyes open now for you and if I come by any I will surely let you know.

Those are some beautiful parts... it will be an amazing rifle!
If I had a choice I actually prefer the tan over the green but I will definitely keep my eyes open for something nice for you.

Probably 1994-95 I bought a new 40XB KS in 300WM. Put a couple of rounds through it just to test fire and haven't touched it since. Never knew there was a test target in the envelope until now! Guess that 1/2 MOA guarantee didn't apply to .300WM.

IMG_2090.jpg

IMG_2091.jpg

Isn't it great how we are learning, discovering things about our own rifles going back almost 3 decades!!
Is it possible because yours is a long action it may have been a 1MOA guarantee or does that not make any sense? Either that or my particular Marksman was a better shot on that day!
Either way you learned something new about your rifle after 30 years and I'm quite sure you're set up is more than capable of 1/2 MOA all day long.

Best of luck with it.

It's my understanding that 40X rifles are all short actions.
A friend has a 40X in .300 Win mag, it's a single shot short action.

Pazzo PA, what reticle is in the Leupold scope?

Then I stand corrected you all are educating me on a daily basis. I do not know what type of reticle it is other than it was modified by Premier. That is why I sent it back to Leupold recently to hopefully shed some light.

Can u draw a rough pic of the reticle?
I already sent it out so from my memory it was a very simplistic, symmetrical crosshair with straight thin lines... no dots or dashes, no numbers, it was not top or bottom heavy, no circles or anything at all other than just a vertical and horizontal intersecting in the middle... which can possibly be because I do not know how to use the scope correctly. I know its not rocket science but some of the terminology I have read about confuses the s--t out of me.
I can zoom in and out then adjust the clarity, I am fine with elevation and windage adjustments but once you get into parallax and hold overs and what to do if you have a hundred yard zero but now want to hit a target at 300 or more yards Im lost. I know that there are calculations that can be done but i'm lost so I just readjust the windage and elevation to rezero every time I shoot a different distance if that makes sense.
I have a lot of learning to do and I have always had the interest but now I finally have the time so Im a sponge soaking up whatever I can.

That sounds like a "fine crosshair" reticle.

Unlike a standard duplex, with fat ends and skinny middles.
Unlike a oval (football) mildot.
Or a "round" mildot.

Back in the day, way back, way way back, the old Unertls and Lymans (return to battery)(external adjustment) scopes has either a "thick" cross hair for hunting, or a "thin" for target shooting. And the further out you shot on smaller targets, ppl wanted the thinnest crosshair possible.
Bc fatty crosshairs covered too much.
There were scope-smiths that made skinnier than std crosshairs to meet this demand.

When your 4.5-14-40 scope was made/sold, it had two reticle options, the leupold duplex or the leupold oval mildot.

It would appear, based on your comments, that Dick Thomas/Chris Thomas, Premier Reticles, put a fine crosshair in the scope to allow the shooter to get a "finer/closer/tighter sight picture, directly on the target object, bullseye, whatever it might be.
Somebody in that scopes past wanted the old school super fine crosshair. And Premier provided it.

With that said...

With that reticle, (and scope) the options were.
After adjusting the eyepiece to your rx vision, where the hair was as tack sharp as you could get it, and looking at a 100 yard target, putting the front parralax ring on 100 yards, if you could read the writing on the target and the hair was still sharp, you would move your head about behind the ocular to see if the hair appeared to move. If it did not, huge Yay... monster huge Yay...then...

With your chosen proven match ammo,
A. Known distance zero (say 100). Set turrets to zero.
B. With a ballistic program accurately calibrated, determine the elevation come up to a specific distance and click up to that xx.
C. Put the parallax ring to that distance, look for clarity and no hair movements, and with both hopefully clear and still... yay again,
D. fire shot at sed distance target. Pray for dead center hit & a small grouping.

Repeat B,C, &D at each chosen distance.

No hold overs are possible with that scope & reticle.

And what you described doing, zero for each distance is your words (simpler than mine) for doing what I wrote.

And your only option with that scope with that reticle.

And in PA, there are these small furry critters that screw up a pasture pretty bad, and the PA ppl I know, that hate those critters, always wanted a superfine crosshair to see critter eyeballs at distance, so the crosshair change might be normal for some older PA critter killers.

And kinda historically, b4 stadia crosshairs, the snipers who used the old unertls/lymans/early Redfield & Unertl m40 scopes, called them meat scopes.
Using them against humans standing upright, having zeroed at xx distance, they would know where in the 36" from head down to pecker, where to hold at non zero distances to hit meat, within the trajectory of their round at that specific zero.
Knowing the 36" meat chart with a couple of zeroes allowed them to make some pretty good tallies in Korea & Vietnam. This system doesn't work well when you reduce the meat range from 36" to say 18" on a big whitetail, or 9" on a big dog...
History

Reactions: Average guy
It's my understanding that 40X rifles are all short actions.
A friend has a 40X in .300 Win mag, it's a single shot short action.

Pazzo PA, what reticle is in the Leupold scope?

My .300WM is short action, single shot.

And in PA, there are these small furry critters that screw up a pasture pretty bad, and the PA ppl I know, that hate those critters, always wanted a superfine crosshair to see critter eyeballs at distance, so the crosshair change might be normal for some older PA critter killers.

And kinda historically, b4 stadia crosshairs, the snipers who used the old unertls/lymans/early Redfield & Unertl m40 scopes, called them meat scopes.
Using them against humans standing upright, having zeroed at xx distance, they would know where in the 36" from head down to pecker, where to hold at non zero distances to hit meat, within the trajectory of their round at that specific zero.
Knowing the 36" meat chart with a couple of zeroes allowed them to make some pretty good tallies in Korea & Vietnam. This system doesn't work well when you reduce the meat range from 36" to say 18" on a big whitetail, or 9" on a big dog...
History

They're here too. Maybe not as far south (yet) as you but they're in northern Lee.

Thank you j-huskey for the continuing education. This is so much better than you tube. That fine crosshair reticle sounds exactly right from my memory. Its funny because lying in bed at night thinking about this stuff, I always wondered what would happen if I ran out of room on my turret adjustments because I change them so much and they only turn so far.
So you just answered that... resetting them back to zero at 100 yards. Almost like a "new normal" where I can now start from when going to different distances. You have just given me back around 2 hours of sleep at 3AM when I start uncontrollably ruminating about the workings of my rifle scope.