• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 dilemma

Buster95

Private
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2008
Montreal Canada
Which one is the better choice, a Rem 700P .308 or a Rem 700 SPS Varmint .308 with a Choate tactical stock? I know the Varmint/choate combo is about $250/$300 less and the 700P is parkerized.

Re: Rem 700 dilemma

i'm going to assume that this is going to be for the range since both guns are hogs and i wouldn't want to hunt with either of them.

i'm also going to assume that you want to shoot as far as possible.

with that said, it really comes down to which stock fits you better. i personally don't like the choate and would go with the 700P because it has an HS stock on it.

the only wrong answer would be buying a gun because it's cheaper and ending up with a stock that you don't like and spending more than you saved on a new stock.

go habs

I agree that price shouldn't be the determining factor between 2 similar rifles. I own a 700P in 308, shoots great. I've also owned the varmint model in 223, shot great. Between the 2, I loved the HS stock that comes standard on the P model. Good luck.

Thanks for th ereplies guys
wink.gif

Either works, you just got figure out what your budget is...also, plan on if you want to change out items, like the stock, and if you do, save the money, and buy teh SPS. Because, teh stock on teh P isnt what I would call that much better. And,considering that you can pick up a stock that you REALLY like in the $200-$300 range, teh SPS might be way to go.

Also, want to add about them being to heavy for hunting...gonna disagree with that. Maybe if you go 5'2 and weigh a buck oh five they might be a tad on heavy side. Are there lighter rifles out there? Well, of course. Is it to heavy for hunting? Hardly.
Would I want to drag it up and down montains over teh country side for a week? probaly not.
But, to take out and go hunting for the "average" hunt, no problem...