• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rem 700 firing pin - accuracy modifications

lockedandloaded

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2004
NY
Any advice for accurizing the Rem 700 firing pin assembly?

I had a Tubb FP Spring installed, but it caused flattened primers, so switching back to the factory spring. What procedures are applied to the bolt/fp assm'y to increase accuracy or reliability?

Not asking about lugs or concentricity to the rec'r. Just smithing work done on the bolt assembly itself.

Re: Rem 700 firing pin - accuracy modifications

LIGHTENING & TIMING the OEM Rem firing pin assy will quicken lock time.
Other minor modifications will further enhance 2 finger bolt manipulation.

A lighter f-pin w/ heavier spring(aftermarket) will not quicken lock time PERIOD.

Reaching for a Louisville slugger baseball bat or Hurst/Muncie shifter TactiCool bolt knob extension is a waste of time & degrades the integrity of the handle/attachment joint.

How exactly does a striker flatten a primer?

Excessive protrusion can pierce them on occassion-especially with elevated loads, but I'm not understanding the flat primer part.

Above comments are pretty spot on regarding lock time. Another component to consider is the impact energy delivered at the primer. A light pin/stout spring is capable of erratic ignition due to the stiker bouncing. You want a "heavy handed" strike as this promotes a consistent jet plume into the powder column.

On the surface this kinda sounds "voodoo" and "yeah, whatever. . ." I'm fond of telling this story because it was so cut and dry. A 2003 US palma team shooter went from X ring to 8 ring elevation with a "speed racer" fire control conversion. Putting the stock one back in mysteriously made the rifle behave again.

Simple tends to work the best.

Good luck.

C.

Hey guys, while on the topic of firing pins..,
Why are some of my firing pin cross pins insanely hard to punch out (using bench block with hole, starett punch, hammer) and some push out by punch held in hand.
This is happening on Rem 700 .308's with 2,000 plus rounds through them.
About 10 of them so far with that much milage. The other's have't hit the 300 round mark so I haven't detail stripped them to see how resistant the cross pins are to punching out.

I have experienced this and I think the pin could have a burr on the end that you are driving through the hole.

Greg Tanner of Gre-Tan Rifles installs a firing pin bushing, and also manufactures his Lite-Steel firing pin & spring assembly.

Gre-Tan Rifles