• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rem 700 firing pin spring

Hogshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2003
Powhatan, Va
Is there an easy way to replace the firing pin spring in a Rem. 700 bolt. I have no problem removing the firing pin assembly from the bolt body using the edge of a desk or the shoestring method. If I remove the item (dime) in the slot it looks like it may be a bear to compress the spring to get it back together. Do I need the Kleindorf (sp) tool to reassemble it or is there an easy way to do it without the tool. I want to install a 28 lb. spring vs. the 24 lb. stock spring to try and alleviate intermitant ignition issues. I do not see any rough spots or other movement inhibiting issues in the bolt body....thanks

Re: Rem 700 firing pin spring

HS, if you mess around alot with the 700, the Kleinendorst Tool will pay for itself. Those springs are a bitch without that tool. Whichever way you assemble the spring, be sure to wear safety glasses. Those bad boys can be lethal.....
eek.gif

here is the link to order:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/P...NG%20PIN%20TOOL

I don't know how close you are to Manassas, but I have what you need if you want to borrow them?

If you're shooting the F class match on Sunday, I can bring my tool and you can swap one out before the match.

Unless you are swapping out the whole firing pin/spring/shroud/cocking piece assembly, you're going to need more than a Kleindorst tool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocEd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless you are swapping out the whole firing pin/spring/shroud/cocking piece assembly, you're going to need more than a Kleindorst tool.</div></div>

A punch, hammer, and the tool is all you need to replace the spring.

100_1107Large.jpg

100_1109Large.jpg

100_1108Large.jpg

a zip tie around the srewdriver and firing pin tip will hold stuff compressed so you can use both hands to continue the disassembly.
the size of the loops is kinda critical. make them almost too small. they will stretch a little bit.

BOLTRIPPER said:
that small little pin is tapered....

NEGATIVE-The 3/32 cross pin is not tapered.

Some firing pin cross pin holes are drilled off center.

OEM insertion of the cross pin is from RH to LH side.

DeBurr the cross pin hole in the firing pin prior to build up-makes life easier.

Purchase/manufacture a spring compression tool a 3/32 punch & a ball peen hammer to accomplish the task at hand.

If you are going to change the spring why would you change firin pin at the same time?
I did
gallahanfiringpinandwolfspring.jpg

28lbs spring and gallahan firin pin. Works like a dream.

Thanks for all the suggestions and the offers for loan of the tool. I am near Richmond so northern Va. is a little drive and I am not going to the match. The string idea looks pretty good using 550 cord, although if the zip tie slipped off that screwstick would go spinning and flying off with enough force to puncture my hide. I have a gunsmith friend that I believe has the tools so I am going to check with him. Kong, I do not see that new firing pin in Brownells catalog, only the speedlock one. I see you are in Finland, did you get it in the US ?