• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rem 700 Jewell trigger problem

Spot-on

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2013
At a match yesterday I began having an odd problem with my Jewell trigger. It seemed like the trigger was on safe even when the safety lever was fully off, and the rifle would not fire. I made sure the bolt was fully closed and tried moving the safety on and off, to no avail.

This is is a Jewell HVR with bottom safety. The problem is intermittent, which makes troubleshooting a bit harder. It seems it is more frequent with a cartridge in the chamber, but also sometimes happens without a round chambered.

There seems to be plenty of space for the safety lever so I don't think it is hanging up anywhere. Also, this trigger is very new (less than 200 rounds) and not dirty. I know Jewell is very good on customer service and I can send it back, but not 100% sure it is a trigger problem yet.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
The trigger came with a set of adjustment instructions. Take a look at them. Here is a link so some on-line instructions.

THE JEWELL TRIGGER MANUAL

Sorry about the dot ru, it was the one I found first. My first guess, too much sear engagement.

Spot,

Tried cleaning with lighter fluid?

Thanks,
DocB

OK, so I cleaned it --but didn't have lighter fluid so used brake cleaner. It is clean and dry now. Tests in shop show things to be working, but I'll need to go to a match (where Murphy is) to be sure. I didn't mess with any of the adjustment screws.

If your overtravel screw backs out too much the trigger will not break. It will start out like you described, and get to the poit where it will not let go at all once the screw backs out enough. This is the screw located on the bottom side of the trigger. Tighten it half a turn and try it. If that was the problem, you'll need to set it where you like and bond it in place with a little clear nail polish. Then again, it could be something else, but this is an easy check.