• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

REM 700 LA reciever questions (NEED MORE DETAILED ANSWERS BEFORE I BUY ONE.)

joker1

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2013
Hey,

As a few know I am in the market to build a 700 Long action and I appreciate all of the input/help so far. Thanks to all S H members. ;)

That being said and to repeat from my earlier post,I am a complete "Rookie" when it comes to the Remington 700.It has been ALL semi auto rifles to this point.I have about 85% of my info I need so far. So,I need a few more questions to answer if its not much trouble?

#1 I see just about every custom rifle shop offers the truing up of recievers. Are the recievers in there stock form usually in need of a lot of "tune up" work? Are there BETTER Rem recievers to start out with over other reciever choices? What normally does one do to a REM reciever to make it good to use in a precision rifle?

#2 I do not want to do any kind of a detachable magazine. How many rounds will a stock well of a Remington reciever hold?(I will be using a WIN 284 round.)

#3 I see where there is talk about the "bottom metal" on the stock. Is this critical to the magazine capacity of the rifle? Are ther brands of bottom metal that are better than others? (I will be using an H&S precision stock if that would make any difference?)

#4 How big of a deal is it to have an external bolt release??? Thoughts,opinions here?

#5 I hear of different styles/types of safetys being installed on these. Which ones are the best and why?

#6 (I have asked this one before,but still like opinions on this.) Triggers, Factory,Timney,Jewel, What to do here???

I also hear Old style Rem trigger VS newer X triggers. Are factory triggers all that bad?

This rifle will be a "long time" build and I am in no big hurry,but I am the kind who likes to OVER think it before I start dropping cash on components and such.

Unless you can do all the work on the Remington your self- bolt release, sleeving the bolt, truing the shank threads, true bolt- your better off buying a custom action. I use Remington's all the time and savage action, but I do all the work to my actions. I would by a action based on a Remington profile so you don't have any extra work to the stick for it to fit unless you have plenty on $.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking at purchasing one of the Remington 700 ADL .30-06's from Academy Sports for $359 to have an action base to build from... But I have also been warching GB for an older action as well. Definitely interested to hear more myself.

I was looking at purchasing one of the Remington 700 ADL .30-06's from Academy Sports for $359 to have an action base to build from... But I have also been warching GB for an older action as well. Definitely interested to hear more myself.

Based on my experience, the older the better.

Paul

That's where I buy my rifles and Walmart there about the same price, and the past couple of action had better thread alignment an bolt/ firing pin fit. Some of the Remington's from the early 2000's were just junk that I got and took a lot to true the threads on finally cleaned up at 1.1" most @ 1.075" thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as far as triggers go- I own Jewell-Timney-factory remingtons. the mechanics of the jewell are extremely good but i don't like the trigger shoe (personal opinion but the edges are sharp and the pad is narrow). i really enjoy my timney, i can't find anything wrong with it. my factory triggers have all been tuned up and work exceptionally well. i'm just going to stick with my tuned remmy triggers for my next gun.