• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing rem 700 long action question

pacomdiver

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2008
SE PA
is the 700 long action the same for the magnum calibers as like a 30-06 action? i know the bolt faces are different but is the action the same? im thinking of doing a 7mm stw build and need to know what donor action i need

Re: rem 700 long action question

yep , other than the bolt face any long action Rem will work. For the STW I'd highly recomend having a Wyatt's mag box put in it though unless your gonna shoot light bullets , the extended mag box will allow you to seat alot longer bullet a little further out

thanks for the tip on the mag boxes. how hard are the mag boxes to install? are they a drop in or a machined fit?

the action needs to be machined a little , I've heard of it being done with a dremal tool. Also the bolt stop has to be filed back like .100" so that the bolt comes to the back of the mag box to pickup the shell