• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

dtsmith9

Private
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2019
Gentlemen,

I bought a Remington 700 Long Range chambered in 300WM and shot appx 150 rounds of factory ammo through it before I got into reloading for it. Using a modified fire-formed case and the Hornady OAL gauge, the bullet (Hornady ELD-M 212gr) doesn't touch the lands until the bullet is almost no longer in the case. Has anyone else found this with this particular rifle? If so, do you just arbitrarily choose a seating depth regardless of the jump? I wouldn't be surprised if the required depth is 0.100+" off the lands.

Thanks in advance,
Troy

I've seen jumping from .100 to .200 in a few Remington 700's with the cartridge being loaded to the maximum the magazine would allow. They shot fine (sub MOA) but seems like your ability to tweak would definitely be more limited.

Reactions: Just Chuck
Common production rifles are notorious for this sort of thing. You might want to consider doing a seating depth test first before you try different amounts of powder.

I have a Remington 700 Police in .300 Win Mag, I have to load pretty long COAL for it, couldn't get the thing to group to save my life with any factory ammo's or handloads at maximum SAAMI COAL. Started seating way longer and she's a half minute gun now.
If your jam length really is out so far that the bullet is barely in the case, then I'd probably just seat as long as possible while still having acceptable grip on the bullet and see how good you can get the accuracy.
Otherwise, you could try a different projectile.

My 300Wm Rem 700 LR is loaded to the max lenght that the AI mag will allow and still is .030+ off the lands.

My 300Wm Rem 700 LR is loaded to the max lenght that the AI mag will allow and still is .030+ off the lands.
I stuck with the BM that came with the gun for this very reason. Long throat and didn't want to be limited to mag length.
I run the 215 hybrids. and im a good .015 off the lands. Gun shoots lights out.

Reactions: Pinmaster
Loading for my 700 308win, if I want to use magazine feed then I need to stay with SAAMI COAL regardless of the bullet type. So that SAAMI COAL becomes the determining factor.

I used to load for F class mid range - where you only load one round at a time, so you could either jam or gauge off the lands. Except now with the new ELD's it's not possible with lighter bullets - 168gr. to get out to the lands and still keep the bullet secure in the case, as the OP has said.

Think I'll go get some good 'ol Match Kings. ;)

Reactions: ESBVader