• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 MLR build advice.

Jordan Raddatz

Private
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2023
Canada
So I have a semi-built Rem 700 MLR in 338 Lapua, but feeding it is an expensive game in Canada. Been trying to sell it off to someone who will use it to its full potential so that I can move on to another caliber, but no takers. I've been playing with the idea of trying to build it into a 300 PRC, but I'm fairly new to the idea of custom weapon builds and was wondering if anyone with more experience had opinions or insight. Is it possible?

PRC is .532 bolt face so you’d need an entirely new bolt on top of all the work to install the barrel that would put you over the top of just buying a better aftermarket action. You’d be money ahead by just selling your rifle cheap and starting fresh with another action.

Agreed. I know that I'd need a new bolt and barrel, plus smithing work... the part I'm unsure of is if the action itself will accommodate the round. I'd rather sell and start fresh, but I'm not looking to give it away for charity either.

A R700 long action is a R700 long action, they’re all the same if you’re feeding from mags, only difference is feed lip cuts if you’re feeding for a BDL but the MLR’s come with a DBM. No reason it won’t work.

I understand not wanting to give shit away but your money ahead by selling it cheaper and starting with a better action. If you want to polish a turd then it’s your money.