• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 models

JDBraddy

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2011
San Antonio, TX.
Have been wanting to get a Rem 700 in .223, will be primarily used for informal shooting from the bench at paper targets from 100-300yds. Maybe to exterminate a few local coyote's. Locally I have found a new SPS Varmint for around $400 1 in 12 twist, a new SPS Tactical 1 in 9 twist for $750, a new 5R 1 in 9 twist for $1050, and an XCR 1 in 9 twist for $1140. Ok, these are huge price differences, aside from maybe a nicer stock is there really anything about these more expensive models that makes them worth the price of admission? If not, I was thinking I'd be better off, just buying the inexpensive SPS Varmint from Walmart, and use the money I saved on an aftermarket Stock, and a Jewel trigger. Thoughts? Advice?

Re: Rem 700 models

Im kinda in the same boat. All of the actions are the same from what I have been told. The tactical rifles have the different coating on them and a different stock compared to the Varmint guns. The 5R has 5R rifling and Im not sure on the XCR at all.

The SPS varmint you have found for $450...? Is that just the SPS? I was under the impression the SPS Varmint was a heavy bbl and sells for around $615ish from my local Walmart. I think Im gona go with just the SPS Varmint (heavy bbl) and put some good glass on top and see what I can do, then fool with trigger and stock as money falls from tree. LOL!

My best advice to you guys if this is really your first precision bolt gun, I would recommend something like the SPS Varmint but get rid of the stock ASAP. Composite stocks are very harsh on accuracy 90% of the time. My first bolt gun setup was a R700 AAC SD .308 w/ a 20" barrel and I loved it it was 1-10 twist. I shot with it for about 6 monthes and as I learned more and more I went to a m40 stock from Bell and Carlson for 200 bucks and there was a large leap in accuracy from that alone. I was only running a 6-18 Nikon Buckmaster and I fell in love.

If it were me I would run a .308 win personally just because its more versitile. Alot of components availble for a reloader if that is the route you decide to go.

Something else you may want to consider, my factory(at the time) Savage 10 FCP out shot my factory R700 badly. Savage has the accutrigger that is better then the X-mark pro trigger that Remington has and Savage has a model with a McMillan stock as well(same one I got and it shoots amazing).

Anyhow these are only my opinions either way you go you will be happy. Anymore questions feel free to pm me.

1 in 9 twist could be worth having, it'll help stabilize some of those heavier bullets if you ever get into that.

the 5R and XCR are both stainless steel (the XCR is coated), both have better stocks than the SPS / Tactical. you should be able to pick up a SPS Tactical for around $650 (or less).

I think you would find the 1-12T limiting has you start getting more involved with the 223 REM. The 1-9T will cover everything from the 45gr Varmint bullets to the 69 gr match bullets and maybe even 75gr pills in some guns, but thats right at the edge. The 1-12T will pretty much limit you to not much more than the 55gr bullets. So to agree with others look at the 1-9T rifles IMHO.

I am thinking of the same type of precision rifle for putting holes in paper and on steel out to 250 yds, and am leaning toward the Rem. 700P LTR. Has a HS pillar bedded stock and parkerized finish. Certainly are lots of choices.

The 24" barreled .223 5R can be had for about $950 if you look. 20" threaded barrel runs about $1020 or so.

I bought two 5R's, one in .308 and one in .223; both 20" threaded. I'd go this route. Stainless barrels last longer, less prone to rust, the HS Precision stock is by far better than the SPS stock, and most people end up forking over $200 for an HS take-off anyway.

Lets say you buy an SPS:
SPS tactical- $600
HSP take-off- $200
Thread barrel- $110
TOTAL: $910

So for about $100 more, you can have a 5R barrel (is it worth it? Maybe, maybe not) and full stainless construction- the SPS has a pretty low grade finish and if going to see much weather should really either be very carefully cared for or should be cerakoted/guncote.

Oh and my 5R likes 75gr HPBT Match from hornady.

to the poster above- HSP stocks are not pillar bedded- they have an aluminum bedding block; pretty significant difference.

Its to each his own. I would bypass the HS stocks all together and get something a little better. Thus my reasoning in going for the SPS.

I have a .223 SPS Varmint sitting in an HS take off stock. It is very picky about ammo. Took a while for me to load up a round it likes, and eventually landed on Hornady 52gr A-Max bullets over RL-10X...

That said I also have a .308 SPS Tactical sitting in the same stock, and it is better suited for all-around use. I'd look at the SPS Tac in .223 (if you are set on that round), simply for ammo.

I don't mind the X-mark Pro trigger. While it is no Timney or Jewel, it gets the job done while I wait to upgrade them later.

Take the SPS varmint and run for $400. Great rifle for that price and for 300 yds you don't need anything fancy to get the job done.

If you like the way the H&S Precision stock on the 5R fits you, and have no intentions of changing it, then I would go that route. It's a stainless set up with a better barrel. The SPS is fine, only it won't be long, and you will be changing parts on it. At the end, you'll spend more. However, if right off the bat you know you want a McMillan, Manners, or any of the other high end stocks, then maybe I would do an SPS for cheap, and have a top quality barrel in 1 in 8 twist installed. That will be a bit more than the tactical model, but a huge leap in performance. This way you won't be stuck shooting 55 grainers. There are alot of options. Again, if you don't want to drop a nut on this, the 5R is what I would get if I liked H&S Precision.

DP425, you are correct about the HS stock, thanks for the clarification.

As stated above the 1:9 twist is going to be much better then the 1:12. Have a SPS-T in a B&C stock that shoots much better then I do.

OFG

I love my 5R. It is a tack driver right out of the box. Even more so since I replaced the factory trigger with a Timney. I also love the HS Precision stock. While many disagree, the stock meets my needs to a tee. IMHO you won't be sorry with the 5R. Below is one of my better groups fired from 100 yards. The squares are one inch. It will shoot three shot clovers leafs all day long with my hand loads. Happy shooting.

photo5ws.jpg

Wish that 700 varmint came in a little tighter twist. Gota get the 5R or the ACC-sd to get a tighter twist. Maybe look at the cheap(er) Remington 700's in whatever caliber you decide on and replace stock and barrel. Im thinking out loud for myself too. LOL!

Yes, get the 5R 1:9 twist otherwise you may regret it for 77+ gr bullets.

I would do a little research on recent 700 small bolt face production. The 2 I've bought in the last few years have been less than stellar. The SPS tactical 223 I bought had tight headspace and extractor problems. A "go" guage was a no go it was so tight, I had a local smith ream the chamber and that fixed the first problem. Then when I could shoot it the extractor just marred the hell out of brass, even after a hundred rounds so I got rid of it because I read about a lot of people with small bolt face rifles having the same issue with the newer extractors.

Fast forward to last christmas dicks had a hell of a deal on the ADL varmints were between the sale price, and both rebates it came out for $350 out the door so I bought one in 223. Same issue, the extractor marred the hell out of brass. I ordered 3 new extractors from brownells thinking that out of 3 I should be able to get a good one... NOPE. First two were the same deal just destroyed brass so I thought maybe if I polish the third before popping it in that would help. Also a no go so I thought maybe if I put a bunch of rounds through it that would help. After 300 rounds in one sitting it hadn't changed much. The thing did shoot lights out in the factory craptastic stock though, easily one of the most accurate factory remmy's I've had. It was sub MOA with federal 55gr FMJ that looked like somebody seats the bullets with a hammer the OAL's were so bad. Hornady varmint express 55gr stacked in one hole which is damn impressive.

If I were buying a fast twist factory 223 it would be a tikka T3. Good quality, great accuracy and a 1:8 twist for everything up to 80gr.

I have the xcr model and it shoots great. I changed the stock out and sold the old one and put a jewel trigger in. With varget or cfe223 it will shoot less than a half inch all day. Like everyone says the 1/9 twist is the way to go,mine likes the 69 matchkings. Its like anything else,how much do you want to spend.