• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rem 700 old style trigger

MBrown

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2008
Southside,Al
Would piercing a primer cause a trigger to start slam firing? The trigger had been running good for 500 rounds, adjusted to a light crisp pull.

The trigger adjustment screws are still tight. The trigger and firing pin is clean and look good. I replaced the trigger, dropped the load and all is good now.

Did my trigger just happen to fail or did the pierced primer cause the failure? If so how?

Re: Rem 700 old style trigger

Please don't be offended by this, but is the trigger properly adjusted? I see a lot of trigger issues on here lately and it turns out that most of the time that the trigger isn't tuned properly.

A pierced primer shouldn't cause that issue, I'm thinking it is probably a coincidence. A few hundred rounds is about what it takes for an improperly adjusted trigger that's "on the edge" to show issues

Maybe the trigger was too light of pull weight. I like them light so I ordered a jewel to replace it yesterday.

Thank for the reply.

MY thought is that you had the trigger right on the edge of safe sear engagement and when the primer was pierced it allowed junk to get into the trigger and that pushed it over the edge and allowed the slam fire. I would clean it with some lighter fluid and then see if that keeps it from happening when just working the bolt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MY thought is that you had the trigger right on the edge of safe sear engagement and when the primer was pierced it allowed junk to get into the trigger and that pushed it over the edge and allowed the slam fire. I would clean it with some lighter fluid and then see if that keeps it from happening when just working the bolt. </div></div>

That was the next question, if the trigger had been cleaned yet, good call.

M Brown

A blown primer can cause damage to the trigger connector when the pressure inside the bolt tube causes the firing pin to retract against the mainspring. When this happens, the forward movement of the firing pin then causes the sear to slam down on the top of the connector, in some cases breaking the trigger connector at the trigger overtravel hole location, or can further cause damage to the engagement surface of the sear and/or trigger connector surfaces, which in turn, will/can cause follow down malfunctions (Firing when bolt is closed - or opened). Everyone else posted the obvious knee jerk responses, but I thought I would add this for your consideration. Further this design can still malfunction even with the factory adjustments intact, this has happened to many times internally with new rifles to deny... Anyone who tells you it can only happen IF the trigger has been incorrectly adjusted, or dirty, simply put, does not know what they are talking about, or readily does not understand the design well enough to potentially render a valid opinion in this area - FWIW.

Aug ><>