• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rem 700 Old vs. New

TonyC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2008
England
I am gathering parts for my next build and am likely to be using another Rem 700 action as the starting point.

Cost aside what are the thoughts between using a recent action vs an older action?

Is there anything in favour of an older action from a metalurgical or original machining quality perspective and if so is there a target letter range ?

Cheers

TC

Re: Rem 700 Old vs. New

It seems like up until a few years ago they were all pretty good. If you go real old like no prefix models the finish, triggers, and build quality were great. That being said, I haven't seen anything major that I don't like lately, except for the X-mark which I'm really not a fan of.

If you're having something trued up anyway, buy whatever you can find, provided it hasn't been cut on much already.

-matt

What are you defining as old?

SD describes actions that are 30+ years old, most guys consider the C series action "old" but they are basically the same as todays.

All of the F series receivers I have had were IMM (cast). The F series did not last long and Remington moved quickly to the current G series.

the no-prefix actions and triggers seemed to have a little something in them.... a preference by some gunsmiths will tell you they somehow were a little nicer

i swear some of the more recent actions i have seen look to have been chop sawed and lugged up. and have the barrel ScReWed on and ....sent off....

the "A"prefix and earlier had the ability to mount diopler sights and have them two small screws on the left rear of the receiver...and they were faced nicely also.....labor was cheap back then

I have owned a couple of the older actions with the holes in the receiver for the aperture sights. To me, and it might just be a faulty memory at work, they felt a bit smoother.

I had a GAP built on one of these and when you hit that big Badger bolt knob, it seemed like the bolt was running on a piece of greasy glass.

Thanks for the input guys.

I have not come accross any non prefix actions for sale over here as yet but do have the option of decent C and E prefix actions.

Obviously C and E are "New" compared to some of the experiences and opinions above!

Is there really anything to chose between a C/E and a current G ?

Thanks

Tony

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The older ones (pre anti-bind rail,pre prefix) have a .017 lower rear bridge height than the later ones. All current bases are made to fit 'current' receivers so shimming/ring lapping are more critical to ensure stress free scope mounting using a new base on an older receiver. I have never heard of a positive way to year date older bases or what specs are for height on current vs. older so they could be measured? Just something to keep in mind. </div></div>

Thanks for that info on the old receivers SD. I've got no prefix action with a one piece base on it and I just checked it. I took the back two base screws out and I left the front screws in and I could get about .012" between the rear of the base and the receiver. Time to shim I guess.

David

In my experience the new ones shoot as good as the old ones. New ones are CNC'd so might be more precise cuts now days.