• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 Police 223 - opinions

Scampo

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2013
MA
Hey folks,

I have a chance to buy a Remington model 700 Police in 223 at cost. I can't seem to find any recent threads about this rifle so wanted to get input from the group here. My use will be limited to shooting paper and steel out to about 300 yards.

Specs are:
223 cal
26 inch barrel
Black manners stock

Would it worth buying it then truing the action and switching out the stock for a McMillan.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

My Remington 700P (earlier version of the police sniper) in 308 Win was the first bolt action rifle I have ever owned. Kind of spoiled me b/c it will shoot 1/2 MOA or better with 168gr FGMM ammo. Its a great factory rifle. Thoughts have crossed my mind to send it out to get the action trued and a match barrel installed but I never have. I dont think it would make much or any improvement in the performance so it would be a waste of money. To be honest, I have had custom made bolt rifles from very reputable builders with better actions and match barrels that cant shoot as well as this factory gun.

Also, if it comes with a Manners stock then you wont be missing anything if you switch to McMillan. Unless the ergonomics just dont fit you on the Manners I would just stick with it. Its an excellent stock.

Keep the stock unless you just don't like the way it feels, Manners is great. Don't get hung up on changing or truing much yet, get it and shoot it as-is for a while. Wait until you're ready for a new barrel before you true the action, it should shoot very well just like it is.

that sounds like a good deal, especially at cost. I wouldn't worry too much about getting it trued up right away, it should (should) shoot pretty good out of box

custom barrel or factory? If it is truly at cost, then sure its prob a good buy.

I have one and it shoots great, it should have a 9" twist barrel which makes it great for 69 SMK. Mine shoots 55 SP varmint bullets very well.

Hey folks,

I have a chance to buy a Remington model 700 Police in 223 at cost. I can't seem to find any recent threads about this rifle so wanted to get input from the group here. My use will be limited to shooting paper and steel out to about 300 yards.

Specs are:
223 cal
26 inch barrel
Black manners stock

Would it worth buying it then truing the action and switching out the stock for a McMillan.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

If it is factory new, unaltered, they come with H-S Precision stocks.

If it were a Manners, many rank them above McMillan. Included in that group is myself.

Would it be worth truing? Only if you are installing a new barrel. Otherwise, shoot out the barrel that's on it. If you insist on installing a new barrel and stock, you'd be silly to buy it. Buy an SPS Varmint or pawn-shop special if you plan on swapping the barrel, stock, and truing. You'll be money ahead.