• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 PSS Starter Rifle?

MaverickNH

Private
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2010
Bedford, NH
Newbie here, trying to digest it all.

Many speak of the Rem 700 PSS as a good low-end starter rifle, but I see Remington doesn't list that anymore. Is it discontinued? If so, what's the equivalent NIB rifle?

Thanks-

Re: Rem 700 PSS Starter Rifle?

I believe it's called a 700P now and it may not be shown on their website because it's a Law Enforcement Rifle. Someone else can tell you for sure.

I would also disagree about that "low end" comment, unless you mean the price. I've had 3 700 PSS's, the first was one of the first 223 rifles that came out, which would shoot a ragged hole all day long with BLC2/40gr handloads. 1/2" groups @100yds with factory ammo. Similar results for the 308 and it opened up slightly for the 300wm I owned, but that's probably my error from the caliber. They are very competent rifles and make excellent first guns. I also happen to be very partial to the HS Prec stock it sits in. So much so, that I have 2 extras just waiting for projects. I like the slimmer, lower profile stock and lower weight.

If the 700P is just a little out of your range the 700 SPS tactical is also a great starter rifle for just a bit less.. Same rifle just shorter barrel (Better IMO) and just a slightly different stock. But the preformance for the $$ you spend is hard to beat.

But the 700PSS in now just the 700P.

IMO is in my opinion just FYI. Took me a while to learn half the slang on here so ill help you out haha

The 700P is a great rifle, I wouldn't even necessarliy call it a "starter rifle". I've had several and they have all been half minute rifles when I did my part. I would suggest paying the extra money for the 700P over the 700 SPS tactical because if you get the SPS you're going to want to upgrade the stock and that'll put you in the same or higher price range than the 700P. I really like the HS Precision stock on the 700P.

Also if you're not dead set on a Remington, check out the Savage 10FP HS Precision. Probably a little cheaper than the 700P and every bit as accurate, maybe more! Savage has came a LONG way over the last few years!

Great rifle, starter or not. Also the Remington 700 SPS Varmint and SPS Tactical are great. I wouldn't say they were low end either, just not overly expensive. A .5 MOA gun out of the box for $600-750 is the best bang for the buck.

I read a very in depth article about the SPS and the PSS. The only difference was the HS Precision stock. Same barrel and rate of twist, same trigger and floor plate assembly, action, finish and bolt. Only the stock, even the barrels and recievers are marked the same. I almost ordered a PSS for about a grand, then read this and bought a new SPS 308 for 500.00 new w/ the 40.00 rebate thru Remington and military discount. Then I bought a new take off HS precision take off 5R stock for 210.00 and got a long range precision rifle for hundreds less.

+1 I would also buy a sps varmite and hs takeoff stock. I believe some 700p models come with a 40X trigger though. However with the money you save you could always upgrade the sps (Xmark pro) trigger later to a timeny or rifle basix.

I have one I just loaded some 178gr AMAXs for and 6 shot 7 1/2" group at 933yds with on Sunday. I think for the money its the best bang for the buck. Also don't think of them as so much as a starter but as a future custom.

Good luck
Hombre

I own a PSS and as others have said they are tack drivers. IMO I would go the extra $$$ and get the 700P over the SPS.

Low-end, as in lower cost :)

I just saw a NIB Rem 700P 308 at a shop in NH today for $795. That seems like too good a price. What do I need to look for to make sure I'm getting a good unit?

About the only thing you can do in the store is check the bore and work the bolt and eyeball it for any obvious defects. If anything is wrong and it's a NIB rifle Remington will fix it. Sounds like a great price. I'd buy it.

The 700 PSS is a great rifle. I have one myself that consistently holds 5/8" groups all day with factory ammunition. If you can get one at a good price, scoop it up.

The 700P is GTG. Cut your teeth on it, see what you like and don't like about it then upgrade it over time. My only suggestion is buy a good base and rings for it and of course the best glass you can afford. Run a dollar bill in between the barrel and the stock to check for a true free floating barrel. Other than that buy ammo and shoot it

It took me three years of hard practice and lots of 'learning' from her to get my PSS to hit 1.5" 300M groups. The rifle has almost always shot better than me and there were always days where I could make it shoot between 1/4MOA and 1/2MOA groups to 300 when my loads were spot on for the rifle.
It's a superb rifle for the money and when the barrel is done in, it will be given the full treatment to 'tuning up'. I can't say enough good things about mine
vamfyrawoodstssling.jpg