• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 receiver specs? My experience

ringer706

For Sale Access
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2012
TX
So I often hear how Remington 700 receivers often have loose tolerances and aren't very square, hence needing to be trued. I'm still new to the game here as far as what makes a receiver/barrel combo accurate and how to achieve that, but I thought I'd share my experience so far with my new virgin 700 SA receiver. I used a mitutoyo 0-12" height gage, mitutoyo 0-8" caliper, square, and starret 0-1 micrometer to test out the specs of my new receiver to see how it faired.

I picked a brand new virgin Rem 700 SA with a .308 bolt head from Brownells last week for $449. This will be the base for my homebrew .260 remington which is in the works. It's a standard, plain-jane action with no special attention AFAIK. Here's what I found...

-the face of the action is square to the side within ~.001-.002
-the recoil lugs are square to the bolt face and are of the same thickness within .0002". The lugs are also within .001 of each other in distance from bolt face to top of lug
-the bolt body is straight within .002" end to end
-the barrel threads are within .001" of concentric to the body
-the action lugs are within .001" of the same depth from the face of the action

This seems reasonable to me, thoughts?

Re: Rem 700 receiver specs? My experience

You might check the primary extraction. I had one so bad recently that the handle had to be moved to correct it. Hopefully not a common problem.

Regards, Paul

Re: Rem 700 receiver specs? My experience

When an action is trued, all of the features are made square, concentric or parallel (as applicable) to the bolt bore, not the outside of the action.

Sounds like you used the outside of the action rather than the bolt bore for your reference.

Joe