• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rem 700 Replacement Bolt

After market bolt on a virgin action, wont happen. Material need to be removed off the lugs to get them to cam over and get the most amount of extraction. A stock rem 700 bolt fitting and headspacing is possible (I have had it work out before) but I wouldnt count on it.

I have witnessed a PT&G replacement bolt fit with correct headspace on a Remington 700 .223 that had a hot load break the original bolt nose. When the new bolt came in from PT&G we checked headspace before doing anything. It checked fine with a go and no go. It's possible to get lucky, but your chances are probably lower than 50/50.

After market bolt on a virgin action, wont happen. Material need to be removed off the lugs to get them to cam over and get the most amount of extraction. A stock rem 700 bolt fitting and headspacing is possible (I have had it work out before) but I wouldnt count on it.
There's that much variation in bolt lug to lug abutment that an aftermarket or replacement bolt needs to have the lugs machined to fit?

I wouldn't think it likely to headspace, since most of that is the chamber depth/tenon length, but I've never heard they require timing and lug work.

There's that much variation in bolt lug to lug abutment that an aftermarket or replacement bolt needs to have the lugs machined to fit?

I wouldn't think it likely to headspace, since most of that is the chamber depth/tenon length, but I've never heard they require timing and lug work.

Pshh, most 700's could use timing and lug work with the bolt it started with out of the box.

Nothing needs to be done to the bolt even if headspace doesn't match up. If headspace doesn't match then that needs to be addressed by cutting the tennon and chamber of the barrel to fit.

If you get a one piece bolt from PTG or Mac Bros and are fitting it to a VIRGIN rem 700 action the bolt will need to be fit by removing material from the rear of the lugs on the bolt. Fit/timed correctly you will take advantage the fullest extraction you can get. I have fit a few of these over the years. If its an action thats been molested by someone, all bets are off weather it drops in or not.

Casey

If you get a one piece bolt from PTG or Mac Bros and are fitting it to a VIRGIN rem 700 action the bolt will need to be fit by removing material from the rear of the lugs on the bolt. Fit/timed correctly you will take advantage the fullest extraction you can get. I have fit a few of these over the years. If its an action thats been molested by someone, all bets are off weather it drops in or not.

Casey
Isn't primary extraction a function of bolt handle cam engaging the action body extraction cam/ramp? What do you consider a virgin action? Brand new/unused?

Isn't primary extraction a function of bolt handle cam engaging the action body extraction cam/ramp? What do you consider a virgin action? Brand new/unused?
Yes but thats also driven by hen the lugs actually engage. The lugs engaging is the first thing that has to happen, the bolt handle/primary extraction timing is dependent on that first relationship.

And by virgin he meant untrued/nonblueprinted.

Reactions: ugsly308

Casey
That certainly applies to the one piece bolt. Not the two piece, though it will still require headspacing.

Only in one direction.

True, with the one currently on the rifle.
If a thicker lug is needed, a heavier aftermarket could be substituted, also ground to whatever's needed for correct headspace.
Just sayin' it's a lot easier than fucking with the chamber for someone that doesn't have a lathe or the expertise to do so...and it's a quick job for any machine shop with a surface grinder.

That is correct and only has meaning on the opening of the bolt. The lugs do need to be clear at the point of cam contact.

it's possible, but unlikely. you will need some head space gauges as a bare minimum...