• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

rem 700 SA Magnum?

Dildobaggins

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2020
    So I was looking for a barrel for my new Tikka that I bought and I can across some forums that said they started making rem 700 actions again? If that's the case I'd probably drop the Tikka build. Does anyone know if this is true? And if so are they making any in SA magnums? I feel like the Remington route would be a hell of a lot cheaper and more customizable than a Tikka at this point.

If you're going to do some sort of short action magnum like a 7mm SAUM, 300WSM, 6.5 PRC, etc. I would stay with the Tikka. It's a longer action and will fit and feed those type of rounds easier than a 700 short action. It doesn't have as many aftermarket options as a 700 but it has enough to get you what you need.

If you're going to do some sort of short action magnum like a 7mm SAUM, 300WSM, 6.5 PRC, etc. I would stay with the Tikka. It's a longer action and will fit and feed those type of rounds easier than a 700 short action. It doesn't have as many aftermarket options as a 700 but it has enough to get you what you need.
    Good point. I was looking to do a 300 SAUM with 150-168gr for hunting and plinking so I wasent too worried about the the length. But after looking at stock options, I'm seeing the Magpul hunter which I like, and NSS can get a 300 SAUM barrel from shilen for cheap. Cheapest barrel option I found for the Tikka was a preferred barrel for $500, and idk how great those barrels are?

So I was looking for a barrel for my new Tikka that I bought and I can across some forums that said they started making rem 700 actions again? If that's the case I'd probably drop the Tikka build. Does anyone know if this is true? And if so are they making any in SA magnums? I feel like the Remington route would be a hell of a lot cheaper and more customizable than a Tikka at this point.
    They have been making the remingtons for a while now, I don't believe, they are making SA magnums actions yet. this is my thoughts on it:
    A remington action can be had for 530 dollars, it will require at least 200 dollars in work to get it near the level of the Tikka. It doesn't include a rail, which, good ones are over 100 bucks.

A Mack Bros stainless stell action, with a pinned recoil lug and 20 moa base is 750, though the website apparently reflects less than that.

They are out of stock right now, but they are far superior to the Remington action and do not require any additional work.
    There are also Zermatt arms bighorn action, which runs about 900 or so.

If you have an itch that needs to scratched now, get the Tikka.

They have been making the remingtons for a while now, I don't believe, they are making SA magnums actions yet. this is my thoughts on it:
    A remington action can be had for 530 dollars, it will require at least 200 dollars in work to get it near the level of the Tikka. It doesn't include a rail, which, good ones are over 100 bucks.

A Mack Bros stainless stell action, with a pinned recoil lug and 20 moa base is 750, though the website apparently reflects less than that.

They are out of stock right now, but they are far superior to the Remington action and do not require any additional work.
    There are also Zermatt arms bighorn action, which runs about 900 or so.

If you have an itch that needs to scratched now, get the Tikka.
    Been watching those mack bros actions for over a year, and haven't seen them in stock. I check periodically, but I'm sure they go quick. When I did my first custom I was going back and fourth between a defiance tenacity and origin. Went with the defiance. The origin is definitely on the list too

If you’re starting from step one buy a Tikka or a Rem clone that accepts prefit barrels. A stock 700 will need some work done to it to accept prefits which will make it cost the same or more than the other two options and you will be limited to getting barrels from the ‘smith that did the work

In the case of the Tikka, that aftermarket is gaining a bit of ground on the 700 so it’s not as big of a deal as in the past.

And another problem this brings up is which cartridge to choose. Since these receiver options accept prefit barrels, all you need is a few tools to swap barrels between dozens of chamberings.

Reactions: Dildobaggins
    I’ll second the Mack bros suggestion, best deal going by far. As mentioned above, Remingtons have been out for a bit but no short mags. I personally wouldnt consider one at this point. Theyre way more expensive than they used to be, and they’ll need fixing.

Mack bros will have another run of actions in about 60 days. You should call them. Short mags were available about two months ago.

I’ll second the Mack bros suggestion, best deal going by far. As mentioned above, Remingtons have been out for a bit but no short mags. I personally wouldnt consider one at this point. Theyre way more expensive than they used to be, and they’ll need fixing.

Mack bros will have another run of actions in about 60 days. You should call them. Short mags were available about two months ago.
    Awesome! Will do. Thanks for the info.

People suggest the Mac Bros like its easy to get. I hope you called them earlier. Once a Remington action is 350 again, they will be a decent option.

People suggest the Mac Bros like its easy to get. I hope you called them earlier. Once a Remington action is 350 again, they will be a decent option.
    Yeah, the more I think about the rem action, it really isn't a good deal. They are running at around $600 right now.

You can buy whole 700 rifle for 400.

Pull the barrel. Stock . Trigger and sell them.

Now you have 700 action for less than 300.