• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Rem 700 & scope - bolt handle clearance Q

mrpink

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2009
DC metro & rural VT
OK, I know how to calc ring height. but have a Q about bolt handle clearance.

Thinking about a deer rifle for the VT mountains - guns take a beating so I am not thinking about laying out a lot of bucks for a custom rifle and premium optic. Most shots are 50-100 yards and 150 is a long one. Visability in brush and terrain is the limiting factor.

The proposed setup:

- Remington 700 SPS in 308, bob the barrel to 18"
- Leupold 1.5-5x20 illum. duplex reticle, 30mm tube
- Seekins Picatinny rail
- Seeking low (0.82) rings
- Ching sling

My question is: do you think there is enough clearance with the scope to throw the bolt?

Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks,

Re: Rem 700 & scope - bolt handle clearance Q

I don't see why not, I use Seekins low rings all the time.

MrPink,

Yes, more than enough room to clear the bolt. I had a Leupold 1.75-6x32mm on a Rem 700 308 for years with Leupold QR bases and low rings, and those are much lower than Seekins. Yes it was a 1" tube, but the difference in eyepiece diameters was 1.6" vs 1.7" for the 30mm tube.

You will have nearly a 1/2" in height, Seekins Base plus 30mm ring base height, to get that scope away from the bolt. So no problems.

As for any other suggestions:

Save your money bobbing the barrel. If your talking the SPS Tactical, 20" factory length is short enough. You won't gain much more handiness by going 2" shorter.

Instead, loose the SPS Hogue stock, and pick up a used LTR cast-off. You like it much better.

Other than that your good to go.

Bob

Thanks for the input guys; good stuff to know.

The SPS is the plain jane (i.e., cheap) version and comes with a 24' tube so wthat's why I want to bob it to 18".

Ching sling - a 3 point sling designed by Eric Ching and promoted by Jeff Cooper. thewilderness.com sells 'em. Great for quick off-habd shots.

Sporter or Varmint Contour on the SPS barrel?

On that rifle for shooting that range, Seekins stuff is overkill (sorry Glen).

Look into Talley 30mm low rings (with the bases built in) or maybe the Burris dovetails with the plastic inserts. Only deal with those rings is you'll need to make sure the spacing will work on that scope.

I'd also look into the Burris XTR 1-4 scope.

Yep go with Talley Lightweight Alloy rings - they will save you a lot of weight and $ for that application. If you are worried about the bolt throw, have Karl Feldcamp fit one of his campfire bolt knobs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the ching sling thing.....very humorous. </div></div>

Boltripper - other than I can't type for sh*t, what's humorous about a ching sling? I find it very practical on a hunting rifle. Carries like a regular sling and gives you the option to quickly kinda "loop up" for other than prone shots. I don't get your point.

All - thanks for the advice about other rings. I guess I am a little biased about Seekins. He's a great guy to talk to and I really like my SH lower.