• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 Sendero SF II...

VonReich

Staff Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2012
Houston, TX
Hey all,

I'm relatively new here. Done some Recon on these forums a bit about builds for different rifles of different calibers, a ton of information to be had on here. I have a few questions myself

I'm planning on building a rifle after my deployment ends in Afghanistan. I have used a M24 SWS on my first two deployments, I currently use a M14 EBR (M1A w/ modular stock). I am fairly experienced with the 7.62 Family, but I want to step it up a notch. My goal is to build a 1k+ rifle.

My thoughts after doing some research on here is building up a Remington 700 Sendero SF II in 300 Win Mag. My question is, how do i determine the correct rifling for extended ranges. Is 26" too long? Should i look for another rifling besides 10" twist? What would be a reasonable expectation for this rifle?

Thank you,

Re: Rem 700 Sendero SF II...

10 twist is the standard for most 30 cal applications. Faster would be better if you are going to launch bullets on the heavy end. Shilen recommends 8 twist for over 220 gr.

Shilen barrel twist

As far as barrel length, my belief has always been longer is better for heavies long range. If there is a different line of thought on this, I'm sure someone will correct me.

A 10 twist is all that is needed unless you plan to shoot subsonic and If you are wanting to stay with a remington there is also a mil-spec 5r in 300wm as an option.

If you paln to reload take a look at the Berger 230 grain as it has an almost unreal BC

Does anyone have feelings about the rifle or caliber itself for the distance and reliability?

It all depends on what you want to do. If it’s just to shoot targets at distance it would not be my first pick. I would rather have something cheaper to feed with less recoil, like the 243, 260, 6.5 creedmoor or one of the 7mm's. They will all be very comparable (some cases better) to the 300's ballistics in all but energy without the cost per round or the pain of a long shooting session.

I had looked into the 6.5 CM by DPMS, just havent seen much ammo for it at some of the shops i go to in TX. I was a little cautious about going to the 7mm Rem Mag or 7mm Rem Ultramag. I have a .264 WinMag but dont really appreciate the overall bitch of firing for a period of time, cost per round, and amount of recoil. My intention is to target shoot at personnel size targets at ~1200m and still use the round for hunting in WA when i PCS to Ft. Lewis.

If you’re not reloading, that will really limit your choices for other calibers when it comes to long range shooting. There are a few match loadings by Corbon and Black Hills for the 260 but the price point would likely by a wash with ammo for 300wm.

As far as I am aware the Creedmoor is only loaded by Hornady right now and can be had for 26 dollars a box of 20. DPMS and Savage make rifles for it; unfortunately Remington has yet to notice it.

Match ammo is readily available for the 300wm but it will have more recoil than your 264wm, but a muzzle brake can change that. Running the ballistics off Corbon's loading (190 smk at 2900@ 35.00 per Midwayusa) you would be supersonic to around 1300 yards depending your altitude and environmental conditions. 7mm rem mag loaded by Black hills with the 162 A-max at 2950 will be supersonic to 1500 yards, again depending your altitude and environmental conditions. But it runs about 10.00 more a box. FWIW the Creedmoor is between those two with Hornadys 140 A-max loading at 2850 and would be supersonic to around 1400 yards.

Any of the above cartridges would make good hunting cartridges.

Thats what i'm really looking at right now is cost and availability of rounds; then BC, MV, and match loads.

as far as recoil, i plan on putting either a brake or can on it. unsure about which to go with, just want (in order) less recoil, report, dust signature.