• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 Side Bolt Release

stevieb92

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
I've got a Rem 700 action that I'd like to add a side bolt release but I'm looking for a gunsmith within a few hour drive of western PA, near Pittsburgh. I'd rather drop it off at the shop than ship the action. Anyone have any good recommendations?

Dittos - send it to LRI. A little over a year ago, I was looking for the parts I needed to do a build on a bare M700 receiver that I'd bought and had sat on through the time when Remington went tits-up. By the time I decided what I wanted to do with this receiver, there were no small parts - like the bolt stop & spring - to be found. When I found out that Chad at LRI had a new side mount bolt stop, I gave them a call to find out about sending my receiver up to them. I've been doing my own action truing on my lathe since 2005, but after watching Chad's you tube video on his then-new 5-axis vertical cnc machining center, my curiosity was really ramped-up, so instead of just having LRI install the custom bolt stop, I asked for the whole tier 1 package, plus having them diamond hone the bolt bore and fit a custom PTG one-piece bolt I'd bought for the action. I shipped action & bolt off, and got confirmation when they received it. A week later, I got another email to confirm that the work was done, and the billing for said work. When I got the action & bolt back, I looked it over carefully, and was very impressed. I'd also asked for their standard spiral fluting on the PTG bolt, which was very nicely done. Another benefit to dealing with LRI was that I'd told them I would be CeraKoting the action & bolt, so when they diamond honed the bolt bore, they allowed for the thickness of the coating, and the bolt runs very smoothly, with only some minor wear-in (more like burnishing) of the finish on the bolt. In short, I couldn't be more pleased with LRI's work on this job, and I have thoroughly enjoyed every range session with this rig since I completed the rifle build with a Bartlein 1-9tw 20 cal bbl in 20 Tactical, installed a TT Diamond trigger, bedded the bbl'd action into a McMillan Game Scout stock, and mounted an Athlon Midas Tac scope.

Last edited:
Reactions: stevieb92
Thanks for the replies. I'm not concerned about cost of driving vs shipping and time doesn't necessarily mean anything either. I've used LRI before (this action has already been at LRI for a bunch of other work) and they do fantastic work, but I don't trust the shipping companies anymore and would rather find somewhere local so I can drop it off.

I'll ask again. Is there any shop near the Pittsburgh area that could do this? I'm not interested in shipping my action. Thanks.