• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem. 700 SPS AAC-SD .308 Brake options?

p5200

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2008
poplar bluff mo.
I would like to get a brake that performs really well at preventing muzzle jump. I'm not concerned with felt recoil reduction or how loud it is since I don't shoot at public ranges. Just looking for suggestions and this gun will mostly be used for casual paper punching. Thanks!
smile.gif

Re: Rem. 700 SPS AAC-SD .308 Brake options?

I had this same question, and I was looking at the AAC 51T, which will allow you to toss on an AAC suppressor later on.

Granted, there are probably cheaper options out there if you're not looking to get into a suppressor later. I'm interested in seeing what the board has to say too.

I have the same rifle as you and JUST went through this same thing.

I will get a can at some point but it will be a dedicated direct thread on can. So, in the mean time I wanted a brake for the same reasons you state. After a few days searching and reading here, I went with a brake made by SH member RWS (Ross). $45 shipped and from what everyone says, works fantastic. I emailed him about 3AM Sunday morning, he replied to me around 930AM, I paid by paypal and he said he was shipping it THIS morning.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">BE SURE </span></span>you tell him what rifle you have if you go this route though because he will need to do a releif cut in the threaded end of the brake to clear the shoulder at the bottom of your factory threads - remove the thread protector and look inside it and at the threads on the barrel and you'll see what I am talking about.

Here's a couple links, but you can use the search for "Ross Brake" or "RWS Brake" or the like.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1302004&page=11

https://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3331912

speaking of rws brakes whats everyones thoughts on having the brakes recessed to cover any shims

like this picture

IMG_1949.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shotdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">R&D RAD brake will work well</div></div>

+1, I have one on mine as well, works really good.

Thanks very much folks for all the suggestions, I'll have to look them all up and make a choice.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: number9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the same rifle as you and JUST went through this same thing.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">BE SURE </span></span>you tell him what rifle you have if you go this route though because he will need to do a releif cut in the threaded end of the brake to clear the shoulder at the bottom of your factory threads - remove the thread protector and look inside it and at the threads on the barrel and you'll see what I am talking about.
.... </div></div>

Here's pics of what I was trying to describe in my earlier post.

700AAC_thread.jpg

700AAC_thread_cap.jpg

Anyone here selling a Surefire 762-211c? Iv been trying to get my dealer to import one here to Australia but he only gets the long version and I don't want to machine my barrel. Any help would be appreciated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: number9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got my RWS brake today. Fits perfect!

.... </div></div>

PICS or it didnt happen
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REL1203</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: number9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got my RWS brake today. Fits perfect!

.... </div></div>

PICS or it didnt happen
smile.gif
</div></div>

Pics in this thread....

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...717#Post3473717

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: number9</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REL1203</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: number9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got my RWS brake today. Fits perfect!

.... </div></div>

PICS or it didnt happen
smile.gif
</div></div>

Pics in this thread....

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...717#Post3473717

... </div></div>

Looks great. Did you have to time it? Or did it come so it worked already? Or crush washers ? I love the look

It timed good enough for me right out of the package. Tightened it with a strap wrench and it's about 12:02 vs 12:00 straight up. That's fine with me.

My 700 aac came with the aac brakeout and it works great. Not the best looking one out there, but it works.

I love the Vais Brake, I did a T&E on them, JP, Precision Armament, as well as the JP RE. Of course the RE reduced the most recoil, but the Precision Armament for the price, hung right in there with the JP Cooley Brake. I tested them on .223, as well as 6.8SPC. Your shooting buds will hate you for shooting either of the JP Brakes, but a RE on a .204 AR15 in a big field? That coyote doesn't have much of a chance, even if the 1st one doesn't get him. I shot at one 7 times running before I got him, but thanks to "no" recoil, and an ACOG # 7 got him, but I did have 13 more just in case.

2nd on the AAC Breakout, seems to reduce the felt recoil / muzzle jump down significantly. Made my .308 kick just like a .223, plus the added benefit of a flash hider (although I'm not sure how well that works, haven't shot much in the dark)