• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem. 700 sps tact. AAC-SD .308 opinions needed

p5200

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2008
poplar bluff mo.
I just did some trading for a brand new 2012 model and am putting it in a Bell and Carlson Medalist A2 style stock and plan to replace the trigger with a Timney #510 trigger. I was hesitant due to a lot of talk on most forums about the Quality and CS. of the Remingtons going downhill in the last few years and this one being a brand new 2012 model I thought maybe I should get some opinions from people who have also, purchased a model 700 which was manufactured within the last couple of years or so. I finally, buy not touching the crappy stock without much grip or touching stock much at all managed a 10 shot group with one ragged hole measuring .697" with a flier that opened it to 1.3" at 100yds with factory Hogue stock. This was with 168 gr. Hornady A-Max over 44gr. of Varget my first, test load I just mainly wanted to make sure I didn't have a crappy barrel which some people have been saying the barrel quality has really went down with Remington. Don't know if I just got one of the better luck of the draw barrels or, if Remington was listening to all the complaints and got tighter with their QC. on the newer year models or, if it's just been a luck of the draw for quite a few years now? Since I managed to get a decent 10 round group. I may even put a brake on it not for the recoil but just to reduce muzzle jump while shooting from the bench. Not trying to stir things up on the subject just, would appreciate all the opinions on the most recently built models of Remington products. Thanks for all opinions!
smile.gif

Re: Rem. 700 sps tact. AAC-SD .308 opinions needed

Cant vouch much for the AAC-SD model, but I do have the SPS Tactical version with the 20'' bbl and I love it.

Differences are mine is a 1/12 twist with yours being a 1/10. Pretty much same rifle after all that.

My velocities are in the 2440-2460 range at this time, not actually chrono'd but going by my ballistic calc and bullet drop.

Even with the short barrel I am still capable of getting out to the 1k yard mark, just takes quite a few more adjustments than most due to the slow velocities. (Right around the 12mil range)

Congrats on the rifle, I am sure you will love it and many people will to! Just showing mine off and going to the local range has turned a couple people from AR/AK guys in to Precision Rifle guys...

I've got a 2011 production 700P. It is the most accurate rifle I own. Repeated groups of .5"-.75" at 100, even with my remarkably average handloads. No QC issues with this one, although that doesn't mean that they're all this good

My SPS V shoots the same load just about like that. Common problems with the new ones are, crummy stock, X-mark pro inconsistency, I see you're addressing those. Other issues, incredibly long throat, doesn't seem to be too big of an issue in reality, but forget reaching the lands. Also not uncommon for them to have chambers on the large side. Many also have feeding issues. Nothing tragic, but all irritating none the less.

My buddy has an SPS Tactical that shoots .5-.75 MOA consistently. We stuck it in an H-S Precision stock and bedded it.

The AAC-SD can be pretty fantastic. The 1-10 twist is great so you can shoot all types of bullets. I got one as soon as they came out, I cant get mine to group smaller than 1MOA with anything 175g or higher, but with both 168SMK and 168Amaxes, i have a 1/2moa load with 44g of RL15 I shoot all day. I wish i could get a good constant 175SMK load so i could attempt 1k yards, but for now, my 168Amax load will have to do, it shoots lights out. I have had mine in a B&C Medalist for 2 years, but just recently got a new AICS 1.5 for it. LoneWolf did his budget precision rifle series on YouTube with the AAC as the base rifle, check it out.

in reponse to my previous post, this can be the accuracy you could expect with the right reload, and it not changing very much at all with a 200 yard zero. These were both right at .467 and .549 size.

548509_10151083326099552_1549995377_n.jpg

Here are some pics I found for my AAC

5 shots of 168g SMK with 43g RL15, just bigger than Penny size

photo+%283%29.JPG

This is the one group I have had luck with on 175's but I cant seem to constently replicate this group even with the flyer. 42.5 RL15 with 175SMK
308+175SMK+RL15+42.4+Bolt.jpg

300yards first attempt with 168AMax, 2" group but only 3 shots
1000000007.JPG

Got a 2011 Model 5R Mil Spec 20inch Threaded .308 and absolutely LOVES IT!!! It's now in a B&C M40 Stock with AAC Brake and Vortex PST FFP Scope on top. Best Group So far is .416, average is about .5-.75 range. Quality is Good (for a none custom), stock trigger is trash but I haven't got around to change it yet. Other than that, it's a Solid Rifle for $1K ish Price!

That's some fine shooting folks! I just hope the Bell and Carlson stock won't be as picky about how it's held to get good groups as the Hogue stock was. Thanks!
smile.gif

I have a Remy AAC-SD I purchased about 4 Months ago.

Pros;
Excellent weapon out of the Box
Reliablity/History
Great Shooter

Cons;
Heavy
Stock (I dont care for the tacky heavy thing)

With that being said, I have worked up some loads an as of now, the best load I have is 175 SMK over 44.2g of Varget. I can get .65-.85 groups at 100(out of the box, i think exceptable) I do plan on swithing out my trigger and stock in the future, so that should help out quiet a bit.

I absolutely LOVE my AAC. Mine was bought in Dec. '11. From the day I first shot it it has been an absolute tack driver for a out of the box rifle. The only issue i had with accuracy was bad torque values on the stock i put on it later on (should've listened to my gut instead of changing things...doh!)

I like the compact size of the 20" barrel, the threading is a huge plus, and my action was pretty smooth albeit a little "dry". Once it wore in and lubed up a bit though the action became as smooth as my CDL (like glass). The finish is pretty decent, but i noticed it scratches kind of easily.

Putting a break on it is a huge plus, it make spotting impacts at longer distances much easier, with the Brakeout Comp from AAC, it feels like a .223. Also, you won't have to pay a smith to thread it for you (if you're using a type that uses spacers and doesn't need indexing).

The stock is "eh". I shot O.K. with it, but saw a large difference (as does everyone) when i changed to an aftermarket stock. I went with a Choate Tactical, and immediately saw a large shrinkage of groups from 1.25-1.50" average to an easy .50-.75" all day. I only shoot 168g Federal GMM out of this and my SPS-V, so i'd love to see if it changes even more when i start hand loading.

After about 700 rounds through it, 5-shot groupings like this have been pretty standard, the rifle has not been bedded at all either:
IMG352.jpg

and ten shot:
IMG458.jpg
(excuse the one i pulled to the left
wink.gif
)

All in all i'm extremely satisfied with mine, and with very little effort i believe you would be too.

Pros:
Affordable
Great accuracy out of the box with factory ammo
Can pretty much be bought anywhere
Good handling/compact size
Never had one reliability issue

Cons:
A little heavy
Short barrel not exactly perfect for 1000y shooting (though doable)
Terrible Stock

Thats all i can really think of right now.
IMG449.jpg
just...because.

i just bought a 5r that has march of 2011 written in paint pen inside the stock. i took it out to 700yds three weeks ago and was hitting a 20"x20" piece of steel consistently with 168gr a-max. i'm new to the game but by my standards thats pretty damn accurate.

I have one in a AICS and I love it. A good stock and a bedding job seems to do wonders for this rifle. I get 3/4moa with FGMM 175smk and .5moa with 44gr varget x 175smk. Now if I can stay consistent as a shooter.

I have one in a Bell and Carlson Tactical Medalist and as long as I do my part I get great results with the right ammo... Personally I have had a lot of trouble with the Timney triggers (have one being repaired right now) and if you are going to spend the money on an upgraded trigger I would look elsewhere before timney... just my .02

I love my Timney 510, also love my AAC-SD. I need to get some more pictures of groups, but this was my first group directly out of the box bone stock.

1stAACGroup.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My SPS V shoots the same load just about like that. Common problems with the new ones are, crummy stock, X-mark pro inconsistency, I see you're addressing those. Other issues, incredibly long throat, doesn't seem to be too big of an issue in reality, but forget reaching the lands. Also not uncommon for them to have chambers on the large side. Many also have feeding issues. Nothing tragic, but all irritating none the less.</div></div>

+1

Great rifle but the stock and trigger are definitely the first things that need to go.

I've got the 2012 model and it is my 1st precision rifle. I luv it and now with an AICS chassis its even better. No complaints on th trigger after adjusting it. .5 easy all day, pushing 175 smks and 168 smks @ 2650. And 1k all day. At around 11 mills

Purchased mine in early 2011. It was a 3/4 - 1moa rifle out of the box. After replacing the stock to a AICS and trigger to a 2 stage Huber, it will shoot .5moa regularly. I went with a PWS brake. It defiantly made it easier to spot impacts past 200yd.

Mine likes to jump around a bit too, but I always figured it was my bad form. I've been thinking about getting a brake for a while but my suppressor is almost here.

Whomever is giving you all this info about current remingtons is full of shit.

I have a 2012 AAC-SD M700 currently and have had a number of SPSTacs over the last few years. All have been outstanding for factory rifles.