• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 SPS Tactical - carbon fiber composite stock

dtandy

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2013
Huntsville, AL
Hello,

I wanted to post here to ask a few questions about a stock I am building. I made a carbon fiber composite stock for a Springfield M1A that I own and it turned out really well (see attached images). I am actually getting a lot of interest in it from the M14/M1A crowd. I think my next project is going to be making a carbon fiber composite stock for a .308 Remington 700 SPS Tactical that I just got.

I am fortunate to have ready access to a CNC machine shop that also has carbon fiber composite manufacturing capabilities. To make the stock, I made a large aluminum mold and bladder molded the stock under about 70 to 80 psi of pressure at about 300 degrees F. The M1A stock is 100% carbon fiber composite. I understand, though, that the higher end Rem 700 aftermarket stocks have metal pillars.

So, my questions are more about what I need to engineer into the 700 SPS Tactical stock to make it a good shooter. I am planning to embed metal pillars for the receiver, ensure the barrel is free floated, and build plenty of stiffness into the forend so it doesn't contact the barrel when the rifle is shot (or when a bipod is attached). What else should I be thinking about? Grip shape? Adjustable comb? Let me know what you think on the shape and features the stock should have!

Thanks,

Dave

Attachments

• M1A_Stockb.jpg
    M1A_Stockb.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 181
  • M1A_Stocke.jpg
    M1A_Stocke.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 176
  • M1A_Stocka.jpg
    M1A_Stocka.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 193
  • M1A_Stockf.jpg
    M1A_Stockf.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 63
Wasn't there a guy making some kick ass CF stocks from Russia or something? Would be cool to have a local maker as well.

That stock looks amazing.
However, I would prefer more than just metal pillars. I would prefer an entire aluminum bedding block.

what sort of weight saving did you see with the carbon version compared to the M1A stock?

That stock looks amazing.
However, I would prefer more than just metal pillars. I would prefer an entire aluminum bedding block.

I had actually planned to machine a full aluminum block. I think it will be more simple to make the stock that way so that's the direction I'm going.

The M1A stock is just under the weight of the synthetic stock from Springfield. But, it is stiffer. The synthetic plastic is fairly low density stuff so it is hard to beat the weight of it with carbon fiber and still have a durable stock. Although weight is important, it isn't the only driver of the design. Durability is critical as is making the stock a good shooter..... an the look of carbon fiber is definitely sharp.

Hello,

I wanted to post here to ask a few questions about a stock I am building. I made a carbon fiber composite stock for a Springfield M1A that I own and it turned out really well (see attached images). I am actually getting a lot of interest in it from the M14/M1A crowd. I think my next project is going to be making a carbon fiber composite stock for a .308 Remington 700 SPS Tactical that I just got.

I am fortunate to have ready access to a CNC machine shop that also has carbon fiber composite manufacturing capabilities. To make the stock, I made a large aluminum mold and bladder molded the stock under about 70 to 80 psi of pressure at about 300 degrees F. The M1A stock is 100% carbon fiber composite. I understand, though, that the higher end Rem 700 aftermarket stocks have metal pillars.

So, my questions are more about what I need to engineer into the 700 SPS Tactical stock to make it a good shooter. I am planning to embed metal pillars for the receiver, ensure the barrel is free floated, and build plenty of stiffness into the forend so it doesn't contact the barrel when the rifle is shot (or when a bipod is attached). What else should I be thinking about? Grip shape? Adjustable comb? Let me know what you think on the shape and features the stock should have!

Thanks,

Dave

Hello, where are you located? Also check out this post, VTB was doing some other stocks. http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...s/189592-carbon-fiber-stocks-evil-empire.html

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks,

Dave

dtandy I know this is an old post. It's been a while. Looking to retire from the corps in a few years and wanted to get into making carbon fiber stocks. If you or anyone on SH could share the tooling needed, it'd be much appreciated. Thanks in advance