• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 SPS-V Beating up brass

JR_V

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2008
Londonderry, NH
I have a Remington 700 SPS-V .308 that I bought brand new and has not been shot. I made up some dummy training rounds for me to practice cycling the bolt with Winchester brass and Sierra 165's. While doing drills today I noticed that the brass was getting scratched up the length of the body of the brass and the case rim also. I tried to take pictures of it, but it doesn't show up too well even without the flash. Single feeding the rounds seem to come out w/o scratches.

I will be trashing the Dick's special plastic stock and restocking it with a MCM A5 and Badger DBM. I also will need to send the action out to get threaded for suppressor, and badger bolt knob install. I was thinking of having someone like GAP do the threading, should I just let them check it out? Any thoughts?

Re: Rem 700 SPS-V Beating up brass

Someone mentioned this the other day. I recall a suggestion to lightly file or stone the magazine lips and polish the lip at the chamber.

Sounds like your rifle is fixin to get pretty slick!

BTW I am a former Granite Stater: I miss the Old Man!

Check the bottom of the bolt for burrs. Also check the mag lips as mentioned above.

Personally, I would just use the same dummy rounds and keep at it until the rough spots smooth out.

I single feed mine for the same reason. I believe it is rough spots on the feed ramp. I figured switching to a Badger DM or having it honed when I rebarrel would help.

I will try and inspect the receiver tomorrow, but it feels smooth on the feed lips. I will recheck the ramp for burrs also. I would like this fixed before I feed it live pills and trash good brass in the process. Guess I can hold off popping the cherry on this for a bit longer.

Anyone know if George(GAP) is taking on small work like chop and thread barrel and bolt knob install? Ideas of turn around time?

I just had George at G.A. Prcision do a badger bolt knob install a couple weeks ago, and I had it back in less than a week! Talk about fast service. It looks and functions great.

Awesome to hear! Glad GAP is willing to do the small projects too!. Guess I will have to put a call into George to get me setup soon.