• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

REM 700 stock ID?

gonegun

Private
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2023
Illinois
This stock came on a police trade in, I was told it is a McMillan. Can anyone confirm make/model? I also emailed McMillan about this and will update if I get a response. Couldn't find anything on the web about this particular stock, but I'm a lot better versed on pistols and semi-auto rifles.

Is this a good base for getting into precision shooting? I'm just looking for something functional and solid for occasional plinking.

Planned upgrades include a pic rail for a bipod and sling, maybe trigger. And a top pic rail for glass - I have a primary arms 4-16x44 FFP that just got replaced under warranty. I like the ADM qd mounts.

Oh... and painting it forest camo is a must :)

PXL_20231016_105811669.jpg-resize.jpg

Reactions: kft101
It's a Mcmillan Baker Special. From the looks of it you have a good base rifle and certainly ungradable after you figure out what you need. Check out the BT pic rails, the BT-17 or BT-15, they should bolt to your stock using the existing t-nut spacing. Drop on a Badger Ordnance base and you'll have a pretty nice old school set up.

Last edited:
It'd require a gunsmith for the install but I don't see why the inlet couldn't be opened up for a M5 bottom metal from anyone like Badger Ordnance, Grayboe, Hawkins Precision.

HS Precision makes a detachable box magazine system that will drop into that BDL inlet but the magazines are proprietary and expensive compared to AICS mags.

If you're handy with tools you can modify a Magpul Hunter DBM and do a little inletting on the stock and it will work with the pillar depth of the BDL set up. I did that a while back with a clapped out HS Precision stock that was inletted for a BDL floorplate. It required a little sanding around the magwell area in the stock and mostly modifying the polymer bottom metal but it came well and worked just fine.

Luckily, I own a Dremel. So I'm technically a gunsmith ;)

Here's the progress I've made so far:

* Acquired rail with 2 inch hole spacing and sling swivel. Seekins Precision SRS Rail,HS Precision 2.0in Hole Spacing (Amazon, I'm lazy)

* acquired t nuts from Ace hardware. $2.99

* 2 base coats of self etching primer (what I had)

* 2 base coats of restoleum ultra flat army green (what I had)

Essentially I gave up on making it look like the McMillan or Gaprecison examples. This one is going to be totally rattle can custom like only in Illinois redneck can do!

Thanks for the tips. I will update this as this build comes along.

Attachments

• PXL_20231019_011029024.jpg
    PXL_20231019_011029024.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 38
What's the T-nuts for? There should already be t-nuts in the stock.

What design are you trying to emulate regarding a McMillan or GA Precision rifle? Sponge painting?

Oh gotcha, makes sense.

The old school woodland camo does look good. This is "JB" after I'd given it a OD spritz shortly after I got it done

1697681379157.jpeg

This was after I gave it a GAP Camo sponge job with some off brand flat OD, bargin bin flat black, and Krylon Camo Khaki that I had under the bench with some sponges from Walmart's craft section.

20230319_163649.jpg

Reactions: gonegun