• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 Stock Probelms, help before I flip out..

Glocksig

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2009
VA
Need some help before I bash this !@#$% thing into pieces.

I have an old (1964) Remington Model 700 ADL .308. I'm trying to drop this thing into a Bell and Carlson Medalist short action stock with aftermarket bottom metal. The problem I'm having is that even without the stock on, when you insert the box magazine and lay the bottom metal on it the trigger barely protrudes into the guard and isn't even close to where the stock would fall. Look at these two pics:

IMG_0727_1024x768.jpg

IMG_0728_1024x768.jpg

I'm assuming there is some type of variation in how these old 700 actions were made?

All I know is I've already snapped one stock over my knee !@#$% with this thing and I'm about two mintues from bashing this whole @#$% rifle to pieces. I just wanted to make this thing into a simple deer gun that I wouldn't have to mess with and everything has been a problem with it. I am so fed up I'm ready to throw this !@#$ laptop through the window as well.

Any help would be appreciated before I have a complete meltdown.

Thanks.

Re: Rem 700 Stock Probelms, help before I flip out..

You have an ADL box magazine when you need a BDL box magazine .

Its just a guess but they are different .

Re: Rem 700 Stock Probelms, help before I flip ou

If your going to break something smash that box.

Order the proper BDL box or break out the belt sander.

Try and put the thing together sans box and see how things fit.

What these guys are saying is that an adl magazine box is taller than a bdl mag box. You are trying to squeeze the wrong mag box and it will never fit. Order a bdl mag box from brownells for 10 or 12 bucks and be done with it.

Thanks, that really burns my a$$ because two different parts sites list the box for ADL/BDL as the same item, WTF is that about? Maybe the BDLwill work in the ADL but not vice versa?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glocksig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Need some help before I bash this !@#$% thing into pieces.

All I know is I've already snapped one stock over my knee !@#$% with this thing and I'm about two mintues from bashing this whole @#$% rifle to pieces.

</div></div>

Might try selling it and paying for some anger management classes!

Glocksig, who made that bottom metal? I'm looking to get some for my Rem 700 SPS, but I'm not interested in dropping $300 for a Badger Ordnance unit.

Williams makes a steel version of the factory remington part with some nice upgrades to it - drop in replacement. they run around $125.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the quick reply. Will BDL bottom metal fit a .308 short action SPS? </div></div>

If it's short action BDL bottom metal it will.

Jimmy, if you have a factory Rem .308, then it is a short action, right?

So, get BDL bottom metal to fit, i.e. make sure it's not long action. BDL bottom metal comes in both sizes.

For anyone else that is thinking about converting an ADL to a BDL Remington does have a set of instructions including a complete parts list that would be worth looking at. You can find it on their web site.