• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rem 700 Stock questions

danb303

Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Alabama
I have an SPS still sitting in the Hogue. I plan to upgrade this winter.
Question 1. I like the M40 style stocks but I like using a stock pack. Will the rise of the M40 and the stock pack be too much?

Question 2
Actually looking for comments on the following stocks (why or why not)
1. Manners MCS T ($464) pillar bedded
2. B&C M40 ($213)
3. McMillan M40A1 ($488)
4. H&S M24 ($322)

Thanks

Re: Rem 700 Stock questions

On the B&C the cheekweld will probably not be too high with a stock pack, atleast if you're using a canted base and 50mm+ obj. The cheek piece on the stock is not that high as you can remove the bolt without interference. Every stock you list is a quality piece, comes down to price and personal preference, many reviews around if you search, best advise is find a few to try on.

Depends on how much tilt you have in the scope base and you as the shooter.

Most generally, no.

But if you are looking for a definite answer, you are not going to get one. Every shooter is different and so are the rifles they shoot.

I looked at the B&C, Manners and McMillan and by the time you add bottom metal and get magazines (if you plan on running a DM) you are right about the price of an AICS chassis. MHO I would take a chassis over a stock. I know bringing up the chassis will rally up some old arguments over chassis/stock so I will just leave it at that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762Mirage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> MHO I would take a chassis over a stock. I know bringing up the chassis will rally up some old arguments over chassis/stock so I will just leave it at that. </div></div>

Or a manners with a mini chassis....best of both worlds! By the time you spend the $ on a nice stock, bottom metal, and pay to have it bedded, you are gonna be pretty close to the manners with a mini chassis. If you plan on doing those...its atleast worth a look...

Like many have said...it depends on if you are running a 20 moa base and if your scope objective is +/- 50mm. If its 50 or larger, then like most have said you will be fine with most all the stocks I am pretty sure.

danb303, for the longest time I used a Rem 700 in 308 with a varmint contour bedded in a McMillans M40A-1 HTG stock. Used Seekins rings and 20 moa base with an IOR scope and an Eagle stock Pack. Still have the rifle but shes rebarreled in 260 now. Also, I installed a Seekins DBM in this stock, when I got tired of trying to load ammo during matches, nothing wrong with the stock, as mentioned above there are better options out there now, but some of us are not all chassis fans. I am running a McMillan A3 with adjustable cheekpiece right now with Seekins dbm, and I have to admit shes a mite easier to use than the HTG.

Thanks for the replies. I have a 50mm but a flat base. 200 yards is about all i ever get to shoot. I wouldn't be opposed to going to a 20 base if needed.
Which of the manners has the mini chassis?
Anyone want to comment on pillar bedded stock from Manners?

I have a BC stock on my other sps, and i have owned HS. Is there much difference in the feel of a manners or McMillan? I have never held one

Like many above have said after the cost of the DBM you will have quite a bit more in the stock. I would recommend taking a look at the McRee stocks. Great chassis setup and you can get it any flavor you want for almost less then cost of getting a stock and sending it off to be inletted and getting a DBM and a mag. I would def recommend taking a look at the McRee chassis.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: danb303</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Which of the manners has the mini chassis?
</div></div>

You can get any of the popular manners stocks with the mini chassis.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pointblanktx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You can get any of the popular manners stocks with the mini chassis. </div></div>

If I recall correctly it is just an added feature that you pay for up front and can be added to a stock of your choice. Not completely sure on that one though.