• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rem 700 switch barrel 280ai/338lm

CSiebert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2010
Southeast missouri
I have a 280ai build that I would eventually make a switch barrel with 338 lm, What would have to be done to action to make it work and who has done them. It will be setting in a T5 mini chassis. I have looked at CEG bolt but there is more to it then that. I know it would be easier with a custom action, I have a 338 on a BAT repeater, I want to streamline my collection less optics ect.

Thanks Corey

Re: Rem 700 switch barrel 280ai/338lm

If I understand what you want correctly, its not worth it.

You'd need two different bolts. And obviously two different barrels.

First youd need an action that would function with both cartridges.

Then you'd need two bolts, one for 280, one for 338LM.

Then youd need two barrels headspaced to the bolts, with takedown threads.

Not sure of a good action to do that on. Considering the work involved, you might as well have a custom action made too.

Well I have a Rock .284 on the way. I also happen to have a Brux .338 both blanks. Have the action LA 700, and Mag bolt. All I think I need is a .338 Mag bolt. I need someone to enlighten me what needs to be done to feed rails ect.

You say it's not worth it? My bench rifle is in 3 different chamberings 20br, 6.5x47, 6br and it takes about 2 minutes to change out a barrel? The way I figure it 5500.00 for rifle plus optics. If I tie up another 1000.00 for different barrel bolt and chambering so what it's 4500.00 cheaper than owning 2.

Thanks Corey

how about a DTA SRS? They have a .308/.338 switch barrel out now, it couldn't be that much harder to set up for .280, you'd need the barrel obviously and I would assume a longer bolt with the same .308 face to accommodate the .280 - action length should be fine since it will take the ginormous .338 Lapua round.

Hell, if you build on that platform you could maybe do all three of those caliber if you have any interest in .308 at all.

Those are nice but not my flavor, And I have most of parts for this build. The 280 project is in progress smith will have parts next week. I really think it would be a homerun for me if it can be pulled off.

You need different feeding systems for both. If you go DBM you need a mag that will fit a 280.
You'll need a bunch of custom parts made it seems to me. Youd be looking at a $5000+ rifle. I dont see any way around custom making an entire action with takedown threads if you dont like the sniper ultra recon super scout(w/e its name is)

Take down threads would be for example... Square, interupted threads. So you could put the barrel on in 1/2turn rather than sitting there spinning it on for days, but it would have all the strength of normal threads.
Youd need the action threaded like this, and the barrel as well.

You need different feeding systems for both. If you go DBM you need a mag that will fit a 280.
You'll need a bunch of custom parts made it seems to me. Youd be looking at a $5000+ rifle. I dont see any way around custom making an entire action with takedown threads if you dont like the sniper ultra recon super scout(w/e its name is)

Take down threads would be for example... Square, interupted threads. So you could put the barrel on in 1/2turn rather than sitting there spinning it on for days, but it would have most the strength of normal threads.

So different barrels with special threads, a custom action with special threads, a DBM system with both 338LM and 280 mags, and different barrels headspaced to two different bolts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need different feeding systems for both. If you go DBM you need a mag that will fit a 280.

Take down threads would be for example... Square, interupted threads. So you could put the barrel on in 1/2turn rather than sitting there spinning it on for days, but it would have all the strength of normal threads.
</div></div>

you don't need special interrupted take down threads. a standard tennon headspaced to the bolt being uses is just fine and done all the time for switch barrels.

pin the recoil lug and use 338l aics mags for the 338l and 300wm aics mags for the 280.

now i have heard some pretty compelling arguments from people that know what they are talking about against using a remington for a 338l. that's something you should really read up on and make your own decision.

Thanks I was wondering about the mags but that seems doable. My threads work just fine on my Kelby action. I just spun my 6Br barrel on and snugged it up with rear entry action wrench and went out and shot a .294 group @ 200 this morning. It seems to work pretty good for me. I can't see threads being any different on my 700.

With standard threads and no way to lock it down, I wouldn't trust it to not come loose. unless its just a bench rifle.
Id want threads cut specially for a takedown rifle and have a set screw at LEAST to insure it didn't come loose.

If you build a special rifle for take-down 338LM/other purpose it could be kinda kool. But where's the advantage of making one factory action handle two barrels, two bolts, two mags, and two cartridges?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> With standard threads and no way to lock it down, I wouldn't trust it to not come loose. unless its just a bench rifle.
Id want threads cut specially for a takedown rifle and have a set screw at LEAST to insure it didn't come loose.</div></div>

do your barrels normally come loose? mine don't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you build a special rifle for take-down 338LM/other purpose it could be kinda kool. But where's the advantage of making one factory action handle two barrels, two bolts, two mags, and two cartridges? </div></div>

what are the components of a rifle system that usually costs the most? hint: they are things you left out of your items above.

Rings 150.00
Base. 150.00
Stock with bottom metal and mags. 800.00-1200.00
Quality Optics 1000.00 - 2500.00
Trigger 100.00-230.00

I think it's worth it.

Still have no answer. What needs to be done to the action and who would you recommend.

Thanks Corey

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cz550</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Still have no answer. What needs to be done to the action and who would you recommend.

</div></div>

you will need a bolt/extractor appropriate for each cartridge. you will need the barrel chambered/headspaced to each bolt. the recoil lug should be pinned for a switch barrel. i have not personally dealt with it but from what i understand, unless you are starting with an ultramag action, the feed rails may need to be opened up to feed the lapua cartridge.

any builder willing to do a 338 lapua on a remington action should be more than able to handle this for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

I was talking hand tight since its a takedown and would have to come off in the field. I dont put my barrels on just hand tight and I assume you dont either.

You can make "takedown" threads that you can tighten/loosen by hand and it will stay tight. Regular threads under normal field conditions will come loose if only hand tight. Hence the need for takedown threads.

Typically, switch barreled guns are not just hand tight. While they are no where as tight as a factory barreled gun, they can't be removed by hand. Let's say they are very snug and require action wrench and/or barrel vise. Common action wrenches for this type are used in the bolt raceway. Many benchrest shooters just use a barrel vice and unscrew the barrel as the action is glued into the stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

I was talking hand tight since its a takedown and would have to come off in the field. I dont put my barrels on just hand tight and I assume you dont either.

You can make "takedown" threads that you can tighten/loosen by hand and it will stay tight. Regular threads under normal field conditions will come loose if only hand tight. Hence the need for takedown threads. </div></div>

a take-down rifle and a switch barrel rifle are two totally different things. i don't think anyone was talking about a take-down rifle in this thread
wink.gif