• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 switch barrel show me what ya got.

Switch barrel guns without integral recoil lugs are not optimum

The recoil lug can be pinned. Makes switching easy without trying to keep the lug properly indexed while you torque it down.
It's cheaper than buying the lug holding tool also.

I hate the look of Savage type nut, but it works like a champ.

I suppose if your switch barrel needs to be doable in the field, then the parameters change.

OP didn't specify.

Interrupted threads are awesome for switching out in a hurry. Apparently the AI is quick too. Though I've never had my hands on one, I understand the benefits to it.

Different ways to skin the neighbor's cat.

The recoil lug can be pinned. Makes switching easy without trying to keep the lug properly indexed while you torque it down.
It's cheaper than buying the lug holding tool also.

I hate the look of Savage type nut, but it works like a champ.
While I agree that a pinned recoil lug is nice, they are not cheaper than purchasing the tool.
The tool is 48 dollars.
The service at LRI to have it pinned is 65 dollars. You also have to buy their recoil lug and you have to , at a minimum, ship your receiver to them (and back).
Now, you can make an argument that your going to send it to a gunsmith anyway, and it that has some validity, however, you can buy prethreaded, short chambered barrels and do it at home. Of course, you MUST ensure that the barrels are all headspaced one of two ways, with the same recoil lug or with their own, specific recoil lug, never to be switched.

This sounds like it's going to turn into a this vs that discussion.

Tools for holding the recoil lug are inexpensive, yes.
For barrel nut systems, you should factor headspace gauges into the cost.

Shouldered barrels stop at a pre determined torque.

No guage needed.

Short chambered barrels require other, more expensive equipment that most people have neither the room or the experience to use.

The OP apparently wants pics and we are going back and forth over what is what, and how much crap costs. ?

The funny thing about pinning a lug for switch barrel use, is most people, myself included, pay to have it done.
Then, instead of having another barrel fitted to the action, we buy a new gun instead.

Guilty as charged.

This sounds like it's going to turn into a this vs that discussion.

Tools for holding the recoil lug are inexpensive, yes.
For barrel nut systems, you should factor headspace gauges into the cost.

Shouldered barrels stop at a pre determined torque.

No guage needed.

Short chambered barrels require other, more expensive equipment that most people have neither the room or the experience to use.

The OP apparently wants pics and we are going back and forth over what is what, and how much crap costs. ?

The funny thing about pinning a lug for switch barrel use, is most people, myself included, pay to have it done.
Then, instead of having another barrel fitted to the action, we buy a new gun instead.

Guilty as charged.
I really didn't disagree with you, just the assertion that the tool is more expensive.
He'll still need a barrel vise and action wrench.

Reactions: Mike Casselton
I suppose if your switch barrel needs to be doable in the field, then the parameters change.

OP didn't specify.

Interrupted threads are awesome for switching out in a hurry. Apparently the AI is quick too. Though I've never had my hands on one, I understand the benefits to it.

Different ways to skin the neighbor's cat.
yes the switch barrel needs to be doable in the field.