• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 Tactical range report

Requiem

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2009
North Carolina
I know I'm new to this forum, so I figured after lurking and reading the posts for a while I'd make my contribution. Here goes.
So I went out to the range to test my new 700 tactical .308 for the first time using my handloads. It went better than I expected. The recoil is surprisingly different than my M1A Socom but I quickly got used to it.

Here's a pic of her (doesn't do her justice, stupid phone):
9433_156071818395_688683395_2600143_3130123_n.jpg

Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40
Harris bipod
Tac Ops cheekpad

That square is approximately 3/4" wide, 1" tall. This is the best 3 shot group I got. The load was:
IMR 4895 41.3 grains
175 grain SMK (seated to appx. COAL of 2.83 since I don't have match/competition dies yet)
Winchester LR primer
LC brass case

img0509s.jpg

The range was only out to 100 yards.
img0507o.jpg

img0508.jpg

I do know that 3 shot groups don't really say much for the load's accuracy and consistency. However, I was simply trying to duplicate M118LR rounds by working up to 41.5 grains, and then I figured out that even that probably wouldn't put me at the same level of velocity as the M118LR round considering the 20" barrel.

Overall I'm very pleased with this rifle and I'm looking forward to stretching her legs out to 500+ yards... I have decided to name her Irene since it goes with Valerie and Roxanne. The only thing I wish, was that it came with a mil dot reticle scope (I got it from a guy via trade).

Re: Rem 700 Tactical range report

You will find that these SPS's will flat out shoot. And don't give up on velocity just cus its a 20" bbl. For shits I got 2818 fps today without pressur signs in a ladder test. I would have been happy with 2600 befor today. Nice rifle

and welcome to the hide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will find that these SPS's will flat out shoot. And don't give up on velocity just cus its a 20" bbl. For shits I got 2818 fps today without pressur signs in a ladder test. I would have been happy with 2600 befor today. Nice rifle
</div></div>

2818 with what bullet??? I just did a pretty lengthy load development session with my SPS-T over about a week and I finally ended up topping out at about 2630 with 175 SMKs with just the beginnings of pressure signs and a good accuracy node at about 2610. I might have been able to go to 2700 safely.... but 2800? That seems awefully high for 175 grn pills.

That was with 168 smk's It suprised the shit outta me. thats for sure.