• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 "Target-Tactical" @ $1499 at Cabela's

brt1963

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2009
CT
I've kinda liked this look since seeing it come out. Price was crazy, but Cabela's flyer just came is with them on sale for $1499. I like the adjustable stock (to fit my 38" arms - I'm 6'8"), and the 5-R barrel has good reports. Comes with a nice chunky bolt knob already installed. I've seen reports that lead me to expect 0.5-0.75 MOA w/ factory match ammo.

I know I could build up my own. I'm aware the triangular barrel means no muzzle devices - but I'm not installing a device.

I'm basically looking for a high end plinker. I want to work on my skills, but am unlikely to go beyond 200 yards with this.
I'm not good enough to warrant a GAP, TRG, etc - maybe someday. At which point I could drop this off for action truing and a new high end barrel.

Anyone have hands on experience? I'd love to validate the expectation of decent to good accuracy. I'm thinking ~$125 for the bolt knob, $500 for the action, $450 for the stock, $300 for the barrel, and some for mark up and Cabela's profit makes this not too bad a deal.
700_ttr_410.jpg

Remington's page on this rifle

Re: Rem 700 "Target-Tactical" @ $1499 at Cabela's

What constitutes "good enough to warrant a GAP"? If that rifle had a detachable mag system I might say it may be worth the price. You'd probably be better off getting a 700P and an AICS stock, that combo would cost you the same as that thing you were looking @ from Cabelas.

feersum,

Not busting your chops, but if as you say:

I'm basically looking for a high end plinker. I want to work on my skills, but am unlikely to go beyond 200 yards with this."

I suggest you buy a good accurate 22 LR, an excellent scope and practice. A 22 LR @ 200 yds is a challenging shot, and not to be sneezed at.

The Rem 700 "Target-Tactical" @ $1499 at Cabela's, is a long range toy, and needs well more than 200 yds to justify it's existence and expense.

IMHO and YMMV,

Bob

I really dislike that triangular barrel. They took a perfectly good 5R barrel and machined the piss out of it.

I would so go with an 700P or 5R Milspec and stick it in an AICS, that way if you want to get a custom action you already have a really nice stock to stick it in!

I have about $2300 in my 5R minus the scope and it still outshoots me, lol, but Im getting GAP to build me a barreled action first thing next year
smile.gif

Jake

Your paying near 1600. out the door. I would keep a eye out on gunbroker or your local shops for a decent used . For that money you can do a lot better than what you would be getting. With the way todays working market is I have been seeing a lot of part time shooters giving up and selling there toys.

hell i would just buy an sps, and change the stock.... as an owner of one of these stocks they are HEAVY AS FUCK!!!! my 700p with 26" bbl, falcon 4-14, badger rings and base with harris bipod weighs in at about 17.5 lbs!!! i would like to get something lighter. (wish i would have liiked into the weigh a little more)

lots of ways to better that for 1500 but its ur coin and ur choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: donovan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lots of ways to better that for 1500 but its ur coin and ur choice. </div></div>

I agree.

sps-v and that stock ran me $875. Bought the stock here in the classifieds. Not the same high quality barrel but it shoots well enough(under MOA). Add scope, rings, and base with the left over change.

isnt that a VTR in B&C full adj Stock? if so buy a VTR and the stock and come in under a 1K.

the VTR's i saw in PA were around 550.00 and you can find the stocks for under 400.00. seen them (stocks)on arf.com for low 300's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Walsh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just buy a SPS Tactical and replace the stock. </div></div>

Indeed. Just recently in the classified here, you could have snagged a SPS Tac, and a nice Manners or McMillan stock and been good to go for about a grand at the most! If you have it to spend, put the other $500 the Cabela's deal would run toaward a decent scope. The new SWFA SuperSniper is a really good option:

Check it out here:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1394543#Post1394543

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fritz24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Walsh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just buy a SPS Tactical and replace the stock. </div></div>

Indeed. Just recently in the classified here, you could have snagged a SPS Tac, and a nice Manners or McMillan stock and been good to go for about a grand at the most! If you have it to spend, put the other $500 the Cabela's deal would run toaward a decent scope. The new SWFA SuperSniper is a really good option:

Check it out here:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1394543#Post1394543

</div></div>

Ya mean like this one?

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...374#Post1420374

I'd also recommend going with the 700 SPS Tac in .308 as well - topped with a SWFA SS in FFP mil/mil configuration and you'll be GTG.. you can always dress them up at a later point if needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cjgemm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fritz24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Walsh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just buy a SPS Tactical and replace the stock. </div></div>

Check it out here:

</div></div>

Ya mean like this one?

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...374#Post1420374
</div></div>

There ya go!!

thanks to all for your advice/opinions. I decided to forego the bolt .308 for a little while.

I went to Cabela's and bought some match .308 to feed my long-term favorite (since 1989) M-1A supermatch, which recently got upgraded with a SS 3x9x42 FFP mil/mil atop a Sadlak Airborne.

I've been using SA milsurp, which is good for 2 moa, but just doesn't do it justice. Seen here, prior to putting the cheek-n-stock 1.25" pad on it.
IMGP1579.jpg

I absolutely agree with the idea of building up skills with a .22 - which my Ruger Race Rifle and RRA Predator/Pursuit help with.

I'll revisit next spring when bonus hits - at which point, the for sale list here will get serious visits...

Talking to several shooters who come to our FV200 matches at Odessa, there would appear to be observed accuracy/POI instability problems with at least some of the Rem triangular cross section barrels. IMHO, its value seems to be primarily as a marketing gimmick.

If you want to spend serious buckage on a plinker, this one actually works, is ready to go the distance when you are ready to stretch the yardage, and has a lot better reputation. Looks don't put bullets ontarget.

...and you can buy a decent .22LR for the change you save over the Remmie thing.

Greg

It is the B&C Medalist fully adjustably stock. As stated by another post....the rifle can be built cheaper than that. on the negative side. the B&C stock is like toting around a ton of lead. I thought about one for my SPS tact. 308 and just went with MCM A-4