• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 to 338 Federal

wvfarrier

Ignorant wretch
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2012
West (By GOD) Virginia
Ive been kicking this idea around for a while. I really like the 338 Federal cartridge and jumped in board when it first came out. It was an absolute hammer on deer and bear but when I consolidated calibers a few years ago I let it go.

I have a Rem 700 Tac SD in 308 that I never use since I built a couple bolt guns. Im thinking of jumping the shark and changing it to 338 Fed. I think with the development of some better projectiles over the last decade that it can be an even better round (Im thinking Hammer bullets specifically).

Anyone on here still running a 338 Fed in any platform?

My buddy runs 338 federal in rem 700s. Think he has a few actually. His favorite rifle for hunting but beyond that I can't comment much.

Reactions: wvfarrier
I'm a big fan of the 338 federal. We have hogs where I hunt and the 338 federal is a great cartridge for them. Also a very nice option for AR10 rifles. Long barrel life and good for all North American game up to brown bear.
Probably not much love on the hide for the 338 federal since it is a fairly short range cartridge and this forum attracts long range guys.

My father is kicking himself for selling his Kimber off. As a medium bore hunting rifle, the accuracy in his was good with factory ammo. Looking for another one now🙄.

The majority of our hunting is inside of 300 yards so it would be good.

I have been impressed with the Hammer bullets to the point of converting all of my hunting loads to them.

Reactions: wvfarrier
I'm a big fan of the 338 federal. We have hogs where I hunt and the 338 federal is a great cartridge for them. Also a very nice option for AR10 rifles. Long barrel life and good for all North American game up to brown bear.
Probably not much love on the hide for the 338 federal since it is a fairly short range cartridge and this forum attracts long range guys.

I have definitely toyed with the idea of a .338 Federal in a large frame AR for hogs. If I wasn't sitting on 4K, .308 hunting bullets specifically for this reason I would have made the barrel swap in one of my rifles already.

Something tells me a 180'ish .338 would thump the crap out of them.