• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 trigger Upgrade Question

Why1504

Minuteman
Jul 4, 2011
Southeast US
Timneys and Jewells feel very different. Timney will be more like a well tuned Remington factory trigger. Jewells are very light, consistent, and adjustable, but not "crisp." I have both. For me, Jewell goes on match rifles that see firing lines and Timney goes on field rifles that see field conditions.

Jewell's go down as low as 1 pound or so (I keep mine at 2). I haven't been able to get a Timney down lower than about 3, but I'm not an accomplished trigger tweaker.

I have one rifle with a jewel and love it . I also have a rem trigger that was tuned by accurate ordnance and dam near feels like a jewel. If your going to shoot from prone or bench a lot get a jewel. If you plan on shooting a lot tactical matches then get A/O to tune your remmy trigger.

I know it's not in your selection but a tuned flat back Remington is extremely tough to beat. It doesn't come with a fancy price tag but they brake clean.

XMarks blow.

Last edited:
I guess I should have clarified earlier when I was talking about a tuned remmy I was refering to the old style rem trigger.

I have four rifles with jewel triggers and 2 with timney. I bought the timney in a pinch when i couldn't source a jewel. Timney's work well on my hunting rifles but for precision work, I'd go with the jewel for sure.

Yeah, except: My Jewell broke mid-match. Sear physically sheared in half crossways. Sent it in for repairs and they said cause was overpressure loads. Nobody,including them when I asked, has been able to tell me how chamber pressure affects the sear. Back on the rifle, it failed again about 100 rounds later due to a bad spring.
It's now on a varmint rifle. My match gun is running either a Timney or tuned Remington, forget which, set to about two pounds.

1911fan

I had a Timney and it was nice, but it was not a significant upgrade from the old style Remington. I have mine set at 2 lbs and 3.3 lbs and they both break clean. I have no reason to upgrade other than a desire to tinker with something.

I think if your factory trigger does not break clean, take it to someone who knows Remington triggers to fix it.

The Timneys have a reputation for being more reliable. They are also a more comfortable trigger (Due to the Wide Shoe). If you go with the Timney order it from the factory website. You can have them dial it down as low as 1.5 lbs.

Chip

I put a Timney on my 700. I like it. I have it set down to about 2 1/4 pound. It was strange adjusting, if you turn the adjustment screw too far, the trigger pull weight goes back up. So adjust in SMALL increments.

I liked it so much, I put a Timney on mmy CZ455 also.

While I like my Timney's, a cheap upgrade is a spring swap away and while it is still no Timney, the trigger is now acceptable.
Trigger Springs|Aluminum Pillar|Pillar Bedding|Gunsmithing

I am pretty pleased with my X-mark Pro with a spring from Ernie the Gunsmith, set at 2.75 lbs.
For $7 plus shipping it's worth a try unless you are determined to drop $100+ on a Timney (good trigger, mine is set at 2.5 lbs.) or even more on a Jewell.

Joe

Yeah, except: My Jewell broke mid-match. Sear physically sheared in half crossways. Sent it in for repairs and they said cause was overpressure loads. Nobody,including them when I asked, has been able to tell me how chamber pressure affects the sear. Back on the rifle, it failed again about 100 rounds later due to a bad spring.
It's now on a varmint rifle. My match gun is running either a Timney or tuned Remington, forget which, set to about two pounds.

1911fan

I had the EXACT same experience with my Jewell on a PD gun on the 13th shot ( never forget that number! ). Called Jewell and got the EXACT same response. Called BS on that and got really PO'd. Regained my composure and politely assked him to look at it and re-consider. He said to send it back ( on my dime ) and he'd look at it. Long story short, he replaced my trigger. Once I got it back, I called to thank him. But, I was prepared to bad mouth his product all over the internet. But, after all of his crustiness, he did make it right.

I also have both triggers and I like the jewel a lot however I have had it get dirty and "gun up" on me and that was not a nice trigger to shoot. Even though the timneys are a little heavier (trigger pull) they are very reliable and I put them in all my guns now.

I have a Jewell on all my 700's, never had a bad experience with them. I've always wanted to try a Timney because of the wider shoe.

I have shot the shit out of my Timney triggers and no fail. I have shot Jewell trigger and like them but only on a rifle you would shoot from a bench precision rifle. A tactical match as in runnin around or hunting or even the bench I will always go with the Timney. Having taken my rifle through lots of dust and rain and snow and what ever you will encounter while hunting my rifles have been through hell even dropped a couple and nothing was effected. I can't say the same about a Jewell after reading quite a few reviews of the same manner as here. As for the pull hell unless you are shooting 1k bench match the Timney break is pretty sweet oh and set it to 2 lbs at least I would recommend for field work.

So with that my vote is Timney.

I just replaced the Timney (set at 1.5 lbs from factory-lowest weight available) on a Remington 700 with a Jewell and think both are great triggers.

If you are looking to get under 1.5 lbs, then the Jewell is your only choice. It comes with three springs to change the pull weight from 1.5 oz - 3.5 lbs. Changing the springs and adjusting the pull weight is also very simple. The Jewell has a very skinny trigger compare to the wide Timney trigger. Both feel good, just personal preference.

My $.02: I think either would be a good choice. However, I think the Jewell gives more options and provides the best opportunity to shoot small groups as you can get the pull weight low and still maintain a consistent great feeling trigger. Good Luck!

I have a Rem 700 SPS-AAC in 308. It is apparent that the trigger and the stock are limiting the ability of the gun to consistently shoot sub MOA. I plan to upgrade the trigger first. I have found 2 widely available alternatives

Jewel Trigger:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/706...tainless-steel

Timney Trigger:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/220...2-to-4-lb-blue

There may be others I should consider. If you have used these or others I would love to hear about your experience.

Thanks!!
If you like 2 stage these CG X-treme triggers are great. Tom can set them as low as 10-11oz. X-Treme Shooting - Mod 22 Order Page

I have a Jewell in my remington 700VS in .22-250. It is an unbelievable trigger. Dislike the thin trigger shoe but still very nice. 1.5lbs. I have a timney 510 in my remington 700 5R milspec in .308 and love it! 2.5lbs long range hunting rig. A field rifle I would go with timney. More rugged and reliable. Just my opinion.

How do you figure that the stock Remmy trigger is making sub-MOA impossible consistently???? I have two rifles in Rem-700, one a 338LM, the other a 30.06. I found the stock on the 30.06 to be wanting, as it was a cheap BDL synthetic one. When I bought a new chassis for the 338LM, and put the HS Precision stock on the 30.06, the accuracy on the 30.06 improved quite a bit. The stock Remmy trigger, while not being perfect, is not hindering either rifle from being consistently capable of sub-MOA.