• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rem 700 triggers and firing pin spring weights

Multi-Tool

Private
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2013
I have been considering getting a TriggerTech trigger for a Remington 700 rifle and I am looking forward to seeing reviews of the upcoming two-stage trigger. Do I also need a custom firing pin spring to ensure optimal trigger performance?

Thanks!

For a primer to detonate properly/predictably, a certain amount of impact energy is required. If there's anything Remington gets "right" it is their fire controls. The OEM spring is properly sized and the striker has the correct amount of mass so that acceleration, speed, and kinetic delivery is appropriate.

Efforts to improve lock time with space ghost materials do little more than improve the checkbooks of the folks selling them. I cannot count the number of guns that have suffered elevation and shot plot dispersion from FC assemblies made this way. You throw OEM parts back in them and they magically settle down and run the number.

If you really wanna do something to improve the M700 jump online and buy a 27/64" diameter steel chucking reamer. You don't need a $300 carbide piece. A $30.00 one will work fine. Chuck it up in a drill at low speed. With your bolt tore down, run it down the inside of the bolt body till it stops. Exert a SMALL amount of pressure at the bottom, let it dwell for a second, then stop. You're done.

Now clean the crap that comes out of the bolt. Remington bolts are multi-piece. The body and head are not made from a single piece of material. The factory solders them together and its very, very common for residual flux and solder to contaminate the internals where the striker collar and spring slide back and forth. Reaming removes the trace contaminates. You may not get much of anything or you might find a whole pile of the stuff. There's no solid answer here. It's about prevention.

Why 27/64"? The threads on the bolt shroud are 1/2-13 pitch. The tap/drill for that thread size is 27/64 (.422"). Measure the OD of your striker and spring. What is the number? It should be at or about .400". All your doing is ensuring it has the room to move as the factory intended. I've done this to every single bolt that runs through our BP process for the last several years.

Hope this helps.

C.

Last edited:
LongRifles,

Thanks for the info. TriggerTech includes a disclaimer that pull weights of TriggerTech Triggers are directly impacted by firing pin spring weight, so it is reassuring that Remington is doing this right.