• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

rem 700 VSF .308

newby

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2008
Rep of Ireland
Im doing a bit of shoppin for my first stick, ive been doin a good bit of tyre kickin, anyway i came across this in a shop, anyway anybody on here got one??

if you have any pics it would be appreciated?

Re: rem 700 VSF .308

I had one....It was my starter rig. I really wish i still had it!! GREAT gun for the money! Buy it and dont look back!!

Photos? OK...
A '96 SS VSF in .308, bought from a friend as a favor in '02. Originally had Bushnell Elite glass on it in Redfield Jr. bases and rings. Added a 20moa base and PRI 1" rings and painted it Krylon camo. Shot it a couple times at 100m on paper and 300m on LaRues. Shot just as good as any 700P or LTR, it deserved better glass. Put it up and it ended up in the back of the safe until better glass came along.
100_0142.jpg

Late last year, had the BO knob installed, stripped it, degreased and painted it in Flat Black Aluma-Hyde II. Skim bedded it, adjusted the factory trigger and mounted the Leupold 3.5-10x40 M3 FFP/TMR in 30mm PRI rings.
050.jpg

Didn't have much range time as I had to set up 2 rifles that were more important to get done at the time. Boresighted it using my Sweany collimator and let fly 3 rounds @ 100m off the bipod prone in the grass. Forgot my rifle targets, so used a shot-up pistol target that was left downrange. Used where the red square is as an aiming point
smile.gif
052aa.jpg

Made the dope changes up and right and fired 1 round, zeroed the knobs, packed-up and left
grin.gif
006a.jpg

Only VSF I've ever shot, but this one does shoot. I do need to take it out more often though, I like the stock better than the 700P but not quite as much as the LTR...

Is this the same as the Remington 700 BDL VS? That barrel isnt a stock barrel is it? I have a BDL VS in a .308. Drives nails the way it is. The only difference between the BDL VS and the 700 pss is the finish of the recieve/barrel and the price. H&S Precision stock, aluminum bedding/pillars. I love it. Got her for bout $325 and consistently holds .27-.32" groups @ 100 yards. GREAT gun. Shoot he hell outa it the way it is!!!

It is a BDL, hinged floorplate...

Barrel is original, 26", 1-12...

700 <span style="font-weight: bold">V</span>armint <span style="font-weight: bold">S</span>ynthetic <span style="font-weight: bold">F</span>luted...

It's stainless, the stock was black with grey threads...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sub2.908cm/100m</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is a BDL, hinged floorplate...

Barrel is original, 26", 1-12...

700 <span style="font-weight: bold">V</span>armint <span style="font-weight: bold">S</span>ynthetic <span style="font-weight: bold">F</span>luted...

It's stainless, the stock was black with grey threads... </div></div>

Nice guns arent they!! Just put an H&S Precision Trigger Guard with 10rd Detachable mag on mine. When the barrel goes Ill have a new fluted 26" barrel put on and the action trued by GA. For the $$$$ cant beat em. $4000.00 GA and a $2600 Shmidt&Bender sure would be nice, but a Rem 700 VS and a SS 10x42 will do the trick just fine!!!LOL

New ones are not stainless and have tan stocks, still have the flutes though

I would want to get one with a tan stock and matte barrel.

I picked one up about a year ago and have been pleased with it. Solid shooter. Only real suggestions I have is replace the stock recoil pad as it is quite thin, and consider a trigger job or replacement. Mine has the X Mark Pro adjusted to 3 lbs from about 4.5 lbs stock. I haven't had any problems, but I've heard people have had issues with the trigger maintaining a consistent pull weight.

I have a 308 VS from about 2003, and I put on a SS 10x, HS P stock, Badger rings and base, Williams bottom metal, Harris BP, Turner sling with the HD Uncle Mikes, and a Black Hawk stock pack. I also replaced the firing pin with a HD unit from Brownells to get rid of the stupid J-Lock. She shoots into an inch at 100 all day with what ever I feed it. I call it my "Blue Collar gun". Some day I'll get a GAP M40 A3 clone, but for now this piece works for me.

I own a still-brand-new VSF in .223...but it's a Southpaw rifle. It's a great rifle, shoots true. I chose .223 with the intention of putting a lot of rounds through it (it occurred to me that I would probably never be able to burn the barrel up, and ammo can be found pretty cheap with the AR boom slowing down) but things change and I've found myself with no time to shoot it. I can't post an ad in the For Sale section yet but it is up for sale if anyone is interested.

Anyway, you'll love the VSF! and everyone should own a .308
cool.gif